Author Topic: Summer chaingang #4  (Read 12075 times)

Steven

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1493
    • View Profile
Summer chaingang #4
« on: April 21, 2015, 10:47:08 AM »

7pm - rain free zone.. 8)

Comedy Kev

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Summer chaingang #4
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 09:37:05 PM »
Great chaingang tonight managed to do the 20 miles, heart rate lower, speed faster  :)

Janerees

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 16
    • View Profile
Re: Summer chaingang #4
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 10:22:47 PM »
Hi guys,

Thank you so much for helping me with my tyres tonight!! And - thanks Steve for adjusting my seat, I think it's going to make a big difference.  You're all so supportive, as always & I'm very grateful.

See you next week.

Jane

xrayspecs

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 607
    • View Profile
Re: Summer chaingang #4
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 11:42:49 AM »
6 out tonight (I think) including myself for my first 2015 CG + injured Steven Madeley. Fairly stiff headwind out and some help on the way back but not as much as you might think. Lots of annoying cars crawling round as well.  Can't give a time as my last lap took 15 minutes; peeled off to the car park to put my lights on at the end.
Just one comment; if we are going to kick through hard on the first lap / generally  then the unhappy voices at the end may translate to fewer riders; if this had been the case last night then there would have only been three of us which makes it all a bit pointless. It just put everyone into difficulty, split the group and led to a few riders being dropped, and as I was at the back gave me a nice maximum effort to get back on. :P

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Summer chaingang #4
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 12:04:02 PM »
People go on and on about not kicking on the front at the Ajax CG, yet it doesn't seem to make any difference. I don't think some riders get it whilst others are probably doing it intentionally to try and break things up! Very difficult to manage and everyone seems to have different view as to what constitutes kicking too. Some of the older riders are so sensitive to it that they actually get on my nerves more than the kickers...its definately the case that the average speed will be higher if everyone rides smoothly onto the front. However a few  mild kickers are probably giving  everyone a bit more training benefit even if they are slowing things down in the long run. Kicking out of the turns is particularly destructive in my opinion as those at the back already have to slow down and accelerate more even in a smooth chain. I think the best way to manage it is to let the kicker go and die in the wind. This requires all behind to have the discipline not to chase if they feel the rider in front is riding too aggresively.

xrayspecs

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 607
    • View Profile
Re: Summer chaingang #4
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 01:06:54 PM »
I would agree with all that Rob especially the last line; what tends to happen is it breaks up into a mini bunch sprint with every man for himself as some drop away. By kicking through I mean standing up on the pedals and giving a hard acceleration which causes the whole group to fracture. You expect it on the last straight not the first!

John Edwards

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Summer chaingang #4
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 04:41:10 PM »
I guess you are directing those comments at myself!
With regards to kicking on the first lap, firstly there was no kick and standing or sitting to get up to speed is entirely optional. My choice is to get at a certain pace and sit there... yours might be otherwise.
We are all at different abilities and levels, some have not missed many or even any of the summer or winter chain gangs I am lucky that I have been involved in 95% of them. The fact you came into the ride tonight with what was arguably the most disorganised group that I have ridden with on a Tuesday is unfortunate. No calls split groups at junctions etc they all add up to a little bit more disruption than one or two kicking or riding strong at the front. If I or anyone else kicks at the front then let them go focus on the group ride rather than just one person.
I am happy to die in the wind on my own and also suffer more than 10revs before pulling off the front.
So until next week i guess happy riding!!!!!
If any of these comments offend anyone i apologise in advance.

John

marknott

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 178
    • View Profile
Re: Summer chaingang #4
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 06:04:29 PM »
Gents,

I have also ridden 95% of the CG`s so far.

I can concur with you all,that last night was not smooth due to a number of reasons but mainly due to crawling cars and the different abilities of the group.

Yes,there was some "stretch" from the front but if we want to improve and become stronger riders then that "stretch" is invaluable....John you did "stretch" us all but you also pulled a number of riders back in,which to me demonstrates that you are a quality rider and team player.

As more riders are joining the Summer C G`s then we should now think of different ability groups going forward.

This is not about pointing fingers, this is about working together as a team of riders that can enjoy a safe and hard workout that will improve our performance.

Kind regards,

Mark.N




   

xrayspecs

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 607
    • View Profile
Re: Summer chaingang #4
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 07:31:29 PM »
Not intended to be personal hence no names; I agree very disorganised with a few near misses at the junctions; my point is that the numbers seem down on last year ( I know these things fluctuate) it would be a shame if the discontent expressed at the end translates into fewer riders.

John Edwards

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Summer chaingang #4
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 09:13:14 PM »
Well the numbers seem steady from what I have seen.
I am more than happy to have different groups,and I would also be happy to continue on the same format.

I have been riding long enough to realise that quality outweighs quantity every time.

As a non member I will go with the official stance on how this will go forward but as a rider I definitely think having the stronger riders in the pack helps more than hinders.

Start again next week and let's see if it can work as a unit as it has for the last few rides.


Shawn

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 139
    • View Profile
Re: Summer chaingang #4
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 01:22:31 PM »
Doesn't this thread recur on an annual basis?

A couple of points to throw into the mix

There seems to be a significant step change in pace between the last few winter chaingangs and the first few summer chaingangs so it makes the early summer chaingangs for anyone not in the quick group or not fully prepared (and I include myself very much in that comment).

Due to the pace of the summer chaingangs it would be easy for someone new or not quite on the pace to get disenfranchised especially if they get dropped on the first or second lap. Thereafter they don't come back again and hence the second group (at a slightly slower pace never materialises), it becomes a viscious circle.

I know I have been caught out this year on one of my few CG appearances where after finishing a turn I have found the pace to rocket and me off the back.

And on a slightly related note, the road surface from the bottom roundabout to the Vauxhall garage is getting worse and worse

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Summer chaingang #4
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 01:59:53 PM »
http://cyclinginfo.co.uk/blog/221/training/cycling-in-a-chain-gang/index.html

Note the tips section. Also why don't you try two rows? Jif and Ajax do this. I think it works miles better, it feels much more fluid and like a team effort. Those wanting or needing to miss turns get much more shelter sat behind two rows rather than one and you don't get people hogging the front position because it is continuously rotated. In practice as the workout progresses you tend to get less and less doing turns on the front, so the stronger riders do get their workout, whilst those with a bit less fitness find it easier to hang in there. I've noticed hardly anyone drops off the back of Jif or Ajax chaingangs. And its not because they are fitter or cos anyone is looking out for them. I think its purely cos they get less exposed to the elements. Just a suggestion (an independent one as Bridgend is too far away for me to train since moving to Cardiff).

Andy H

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2111
    • View Profile
Re: Summer chaingang #4
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 05:57:12 PM »
Its a good idea Rob but the issue on the industrial estate could be the corners. They'd be tough to negotiate quickly in a double line.

I'm hoping to make chaingang from May onwards and would be happy to monitor/marshal/captain/herd  (delete as appropriate) a 'B' squad. And would urge people who aren't sure or new to chaingang to join that group and move up if its too slow rather than get disillusioned after a kicking on the faster group!

Davey C

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 208
    • View Profile
Re: Summer chaingang #4
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 07:34:13 PM »
Since starting a new job I've struggled to get to chaingang. I don't really want to repeat anything already said except...Andy is right about the 2 lines, it won't work on that circuit

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Summer chaingang #4
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 10:05:15 PM »
I hadn't considered the tighter course. Maybe you're right though I'd be tempted to test it with a small group if I was an OVW CG ambassador...which I ain't! Can't fault OVW CG safety record with the single line in that I can recall very few accidents in last 5/6 years.