Author Topic: 25ers 19th April Sunday Ride  (Read 14396 times)

Jsaunders

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 117
    • View Profile
25ers 19th April Sunday Ride
« on: April 15, 2015, 08:44:07 PM »
The bwlch has been mentioned for this Sundays ride, ave is up to 35-40 now with the group doing 43.9 last week.ave speed is 14-15 mph.

Paul L

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 50
    • View Profile
Re: 25ers 19th April Sunday Ride
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 09:44:41 PM »
Looking forward to Sunday John, let's hope the weather is good to us.

I think the group,will be ok with the Bwlch!

Jsaunders

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 117
    • View Profile
Re: 25ers 19th April Sunday Ride
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 09:57:45 PM »
Yes Paul I think a few are looking forward to it including me,
I'm sure everyone will be fine they all did excellent last week. Weather looks good for Sunday at the moment, the climb for the bwlch is port talbot side up.

ron b

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1253
    • View Profile
Re: 25ers 19th April Sunday Ride
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 11:09:23 AM »
Anyone wishing to do a more sedate ride I will sort a route out to suit ability, please put you name on this "page" if you intend turning up

Tom

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1578
    • View Profile
Re: 25ers 19th April Sunday Ride
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 07:11:21 PM »
Yes Ron-I've been thinking the 25's are starting to look more like Amblers rides-maybe a few 25 ers should come Ambling?

Paul L

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 50
    • View Profile
Re: 25ers 19th April Sunday Ride
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 09:46:08 PM »
Maybe there is a place for an Inbetweeners?

Not sure I could ride at 16-20 for 3 hours, that's what I'm lead to believe the Amblers do, without holding you up or get left behind.

Tom

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1578
    • View Profile
Re: 25ers 19th April Sunday Ride
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 10:10:16 PM »
Paul L-you've been led tp believe wrong.More like 16MPH ave I think-there has been some posting about this recently and I think Teresa updated the home pages to more accurately reflect what each group aims for.Having been out with you the other day I'd be very surprised if you were holding us up(and we never look on it as being'held up'anyone thinking that is in the wrong club!!)

Jsaunders

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 117
    • View Profile
Re: 25ers 19th April Sunday Ride
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 10:11:48 PM »
Paul I don't think their average is as high as 20mph, the pace we are doing is just shy of the amblers pace. But they are out for longer, it is a valid point of having another group to cater for all abilities.

Paul L

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 50
    • View Profile
Re: 25ers 19th April Sunday Ride
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 10:27:45 PM »
Paul L-you've been led tp believe wrong.More like 16MPH ave I think-there has been some posting about this recently and I think Teresa updated the home pages to more accurately reflect what each group aims for.Having been out with you the other day I'd be very surprised if you were holding us up(and we never look on it as being'held up'anyone thinking that is in the wrong club!!)

Tom my days riding are for enjoyment, if it's not enjoyable then I wouldn't want to go out.

I enjoyed the ride with you last week and felt comfortable in my ability for the time we were out, however riding at pace or a constant pace of 16 mph for 3 hours, I know for me, at this stage of my ability would be that little step (or pedal) to far!

The reason why I looked at joining the OVW was because it has a good reputation as a friendly club with different level of riders that welcome all abilities. 

I did not mean to upset or annoy you or anyone by my 'holding up' comment it was meant, that I (myself) wouldn't want to slow a group up or hold them up due to my inability to keep pace.

Andy H

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2111
    • View Profile
Re: 25ers 19th April Sunday Ride
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 10:38:52 PM »
The pacers don't even manage 20mph averages!


I don't think you've upset anybody Paul, I think members like Tom are very experienced and are good judges of your ability/potential and like to see people improving. 

You could always try stepping up in a couple of weeks and if it doesn't suit then revert back

Tom

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1578
    • View Profile
Re: 25ers 19th April Sunday Ride
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 06:56:05 AM »
Thanks Andy-you understood what I was trying to say in what I can see wasn't as clear a posting as I intended!Paul,you haven't upset me or anyone else I'm sure.What I meant in a supposedly jocular comment was you won't hold anyone up and anyone having to wait for another rider doesn't think of it in that way-waiting for each other now and again is as much a part of cycling as stopping for a puncture.
Sorry if I caused you any angst!

Surfydave

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
Re: 25ers 19th April Sunday Ride
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 12:04:04 PM »
Change of work plans means that i am now about this weekend, so should be out and am up for this, i really enjoyed the ride last week both in distance and pace, also as a new member, (albeit yet to officially join, and last week was my second ride) i felt that the group was a good group and i was made to feel welcome, so looking forward to more rides like this and become a part of a friendly club, as was mentioned on the ride and has been discussed here, i ride for fun, when it stops being fun, you stop doing it.

oh we do have a bus arranged for an uplift of the Blwch yes?

Andy H

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2111
    • View Profile
Re: 25ers 19th April Sunday Ride
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 12:35:11 PM »
Glad to hear your enjoying the club runs, Dave and that the friendly atmosphere is prevalent in the 25ers.

It's also present in the Amblers and Pacers but they do tend to take 'extract the urine' a bit more but don't be put off!!  :D

Sometimes the fun is a lot harder work but as they say 'it doesn't get easier you just go faster'!

ron b

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1253
    • View Profile
Re: 25ers 19th April Sunday Ride
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 02:04:21 PM »
Due to "creeping old age" I am not able to do two Bwlch type rides in successive days, so if no one wishes to come on a "more sedate" ride on Sunday I will go with the main 25er's over the top and do "sedate" on Saturday. Other wise its "uncomfortable time" on Sat and a "sedate" on Sunday. So anyone wishing to do a "coffee ride" turn up on Sunday. PS good name for a forth group " The Coffee Riders" clues in the name Tom.

AndrewW

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
Re: 25ers 19th April Sunday Ride
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 01:45:23 PM »
Hope to be back riding in couple of weeks - The Coffee Riders seems the perfect group for me!