Author Topic: Wedges in shoes (not the potato kind)  (Read 6527 times)

Andy Green

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 25
    • View Profile
Wedges in shoes (not the potato kind)
« on: April 12, 2015, 08:36:48 PM »
Hi all, sorry I haven't been out yet this year, I was tagging along with the 25ers at the end of last year and looking forward to this year however...... I've been getting crippling foot pain on the outsides of my feet when reaching around 30miles and it forces me to stop.

Now I'm not sure if it's due to my shoes being too narrow (specialised) or a friend mentioned it may be due to an issue of my feet collapsing (I do wear running shoes with a high arch) and I would possibly need some wedges under my cleats to level out my feet.

Anyone else ever had this problem? Any advice?  Supposed to be riding the Velothon in June!

AndrewW

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
Re: Wedges in shoes (not the potato kind)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 08:50:09 PM »
Specialized shoes have a camber built in (they say this is to suit about87% of population) if you search there's plenty in blogosphere about knee and feet problems with specialized shoes - I had knee problem switched to Sidi shoes and all was well. Also some people get problems with spd cleats a cleat with a wider base can help if so.

Andy H

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2111
    • View Profile
Re: Wedges in shoes (not the potato kind)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 08:53:06 PM »
Can you try different shoes,  possibly borrow some?

What size do you take?

I've never had an issue with foot pain but do generally find cycling shoes a snug fit and occasionally had to size up.

Andy Green

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 25
    • View Profile
Re: Wedges in shoes (not the potato kind)
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 09:22:12 PM »
I'm using speedplay pedals at the moment, switched to them from shimano quite early on and have found them more comfortable. Shoes are size 43, was thinking of trying some wider fit shoes possibly shimano or sidi that both do wide  fit models.

Jsaunders

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 117
    • View Profile
Re: Wedges in shoes (not the potato kind)
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 09:27:39 PM »
I ware specialized shoes and had to use a size44 due to my feet being slightly wider.

Jason T

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 590
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Stuff
Re: Wedges in shoes (not the potato kind)
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 07:23:22 AM »
I've got silly wide feet and shoes are a real pain.

First thing I would suggest is get yourself over to one of the Tredz stores, they should have a Specialized BG Footbed Device you stand on which will give you an indication of which types of soles you may need.

It's pretty basic but it works, I've used the one in Cardiff but I've not been to Swansea (I guess they should have one).

As for wedges, if required, I would suggest cleat wedges over insole wedges as with the latter you start to decrease the volume of the shoe which can make things even tighter for your feet.

You may also find that your feet swell when they warm, so doing the shoes up too tight at the start of a ride could also cause you problems.

Best bet is to find a hill and climb it a few times for s simple wedge test, once you're settled into a rhythm try to feel if you're pushing on the pedal with the outside or inside of the foot - If so wedges will probably be needed.

These are just basic tests I've used for myself based on Steve Hoggs info and other stuff out there on the web.

Sidi Mega and Bont Vaypor are good for wide shoes, I hear Lake also do a good model and some Specialized and Northwave shoes come up wide as well.

Check out a fit wizard to see if you need wide shoes;
http://www.bont.com/Cycling/items/support/size.html

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Wedges in shoes (not the potato kind)
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 08:51:57 AM »
I've always had specialised shoes, other makes didn't seem to fit my wide feet. I got some bontrager now though and they are much more comfy. Pedal wise time pedals/ cleats are really good comfort wise. I've been happy with time rxs for about 7 years. I had comfort and knee issues with Shimano shows and spd pedals.
I have a number of specialised footbeds and wedges. I seem fine with the red or blue footbeds but the wedges don't do anything for me. You are welcome to try any of the beds or wedges.

ron b

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1253
    • View Profile
Re: Wedges in shoes (not the potato kind)
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 08:10:10 PM »
Does the problem seem like your sock has creased across your foot. Turn up on Sunday and I can explain a little better.

Andy Green

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 25
    • View Profile
Re: Wedges in shoes (not the potato kind)
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 09:37:55 PM »
Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm looking into it this week. Ron I'll see you Sunday.