Author Topic: Saturday stateside ride with the Village idiots !  (Read 3837 times)

Steven

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1493
    • View Profile
Saturday stateside ride with the Village idiots !
« on: January 17, 2015, 03:19:49 PM »
I thought I'd report on my experiences with an American Cycling Club.  I contacted the Village Idiots ( real name!) via Facebook and they invited me along.  The meet time was 0715 so I turned up in Ogmore short sleeved top and shorts.  They all turned up in full winter kit - it was 14 degrees! About 30 riders were there ( there's usually 60 but they were put off by the temperature).  We set off a bit like a road race/ chaingang.  The bike I had hired and pimped with my saddle and pedals was fine on the straights but cornered like I was riding a farm gate! The riding was reasonably disciplined with lots of shouting for cars/ junctions etc ( no potholes at all!).  After 5 miles we split into a 26mph group and a 23mph group.  I was terrified of getting lost as I had no map and no idea where I was ( and no landmarks as it's pan flat).  23mph meant ride at that speed and get your breath back every few mins when you stop at a red light.  After the first hour more and more riders dropped off and just 5 of us finished together.  The ride was 30 miles and they never do more than 35 !  It was a great experience and I was pleased I was in good shape and not left for dead in the swamps!

wardhaugh

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday stateside ride with the Village idiots !
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 05:49:22 PM »
I'm sure they'd love an OVW run - no idea what they'd wear at this time of year though. Good average speed.

Jason T

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 590
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Stuff
Re: Saturday stateside ride with the Village idiots !
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 12:24:11 PM »
Better than the weather over here... Hope you're enjoying it.

If we don't see you again I guess you've been dropped on another ride  ;)

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday stateside ride with the Village idiots !
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 02:25:21 PM »
Better than the weather over here... Hope you're enjoying it.

If we don't see you again I guess you've been dropped on another ride  ;)

Lol, it does look like a complicated road network. I reckon they call themselves the village idiots cos that's what the vast majority of residents out there (the real idiots) think of anyone who cycles, especially on the road...do people (big)in cars (big) keep stopping you and asking if you need a lift?

Steven

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1493
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday stateside ride with the Village idiots !
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 11:45:02 PM »
Rob,

Actually, as the roads are so wide with little traffic and they drive so slowly it feels safer.  Lots of roads have a bike lane and cars have to give way to cyclists at junctions...

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday stateside ride with the Village idiots !
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 01:05:37 PM »
That's good Steven...you've nipped my prejudiced views in the bud!