Ron,
I sorry that you were left behind today, which was my fault. However, this does tend to be a problem when we join up with the Pacers, particularly on a flat, fast out and back course. On purely Amblers rides we never leave anyone behind. We did slow down today on a number of occasions but it soon became clear that everyone (well almost everyone) was enjoying being swept along in the fast moving Oggie peloton. I did realise you'd dropped off the pace at Margam, but as I knew you were only going as far as Port Talbot I decided to dig in and stay with the group. If I'd dropped back I'd have been on my own and I'd never have got back on and I wasn't sure of the route as it wasn't one I'd planned.
Rest assured that for genuine Amblers rides we will always wait for stragglers and re-group at specific points. However, I must admit with many of the Amblers now shading Amblers pace, a set of reins and a bullwhip is sometimes needed to keep the group together. Overall, today was a really good ride and one that I think we all enjoyed. The route out to Swansea Marina was (mostly) flat and lent itself well to a high pace and a large group. The Amblers particularly enjoyed drafting the 'big boys' and riding at a higher than average pace. It was good to see such a large turn out by the Oggies on such a drab, cold January day. I counted 16 Oggies on the road, as follows:
Mark R
Chris G
Chris R
Haydyn
Jason
Paul L
Andrew S
Ron
Tony M
Terry A
Neil B
Richard B
Steve Landeg
Wayne
Mark P
Damn, I've missed one!
Mark P