Author Topic: hills in cardiff with street lighting  (Read 4716 times)

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
hills in cardiff with street lighting
« on: January 06, 2015, 01:03:22 PM »
Hills in Cardiff with street lighting and not too much traffic/ no signals, giving way etc.

Any suggestions - I could do with a little circuit with a hill in, longer the better.

Nothing springs to mind, all my favourites are just outside the built-up area and therefore unlit. Extra brownie points if you can think of any near rumney!

Jason T

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 590
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Stuff
Re: hills in cardiff with street lighting
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 02:32:53 PM »
The only bump I can think of near Rumney is; Newport Rd -> Llanrumney -> St Mellons
Go around the roundabouts and repeat three times = approx 17 Miles and 1000 Ft of Climbing | Pathetic Option

There is Leckwith Hill (200 ft in 0.5 miles) it has street lighting but has tree cover.... also a bit of a fast road and the opposite side of Cardiff.

You'll have to get a Betty and get out in those lanes, it's the only way:
http://www.lupine.de/eng/products/helmet-and-bikelights/betty-r/introduction

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: hills in cardiff with street lighting
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 02:50:24 PM »
Hi Jason and thanks. Problem with option 1 is a few sets of lights and so many people heading to/ from the A48M or M4 at st mellons. Its not a good place to be on a bike in the rush hour. I thought of leckwith too but put off by getting across town and traffic at the bottom of hill. Think I've found what I need though it happens to be in Newport which is not much less convenient for me than much of Cardiff! Will be a bit of a test tonight, so good excuse for not working too hard on those hills! Back in Llantrisant I was spoiled by all those roads between church village bypass and the old road. Excellent for power training

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: hills in cardiff with street lighting
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 03:01:13 PM »
And regarding the Betty...4500 lumens on top of your head. I have 2 front lights with 300 and 475 max lumen outputs. I'd prefer a little more sometimes but not x10!!

Jason T

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 590
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Stuff
Re: hills in cardiff with street lighting
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 03:15:25 PM »
Rush Hour ~ No Way, it's terrible around most of Cardiff from 15:30 onwards.

I thought you might be heading out for later sessions due to wanting the street lights yet it's still dark by 17:30 isn't it, I would guess it would be a year round route for training options as well.

The traffic at the bottom of leckwith wouldn't be good during rush hour, later in the day would be fine I would have thought ~ Straight over the top and cut across cardiff bay for a scenic route.

Good luck Newport way, it's full of nutters over there  ;)

Jason T

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 590
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Stuff
Re: hills in cardiff with street lighting
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 03:19:20 PM »
And regarding the Betty...4500 lumens on top of your head. I have 2 front lights with 300 and 475 max lumen outputs. I'd prefer a little more sometimes but not x10!!

It would keep my head warm this winter... I have no hair.