Author Topic: Blaengwynfi Railway Tunnel ~ Perhaps Cycle Route  (Read 7029 times)

Jason T

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 590
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Stuff
Blaengwynfi Railway Tunnel ~ Perhaps Cycle Route
« on: January 05, 2015, 01:40:30 PM »
I've looked at the details of the old railway tunnel before but there has never been too much info on it, it's always looked like an interesting place but not many people have posted their findings on the usual derelict/urbex sites.

I thought that his may be of interest for some, possibly for the history/current state of the tunnel, the current/future project and the possible outcome for the non-roadies of the club (although it might make a good shortcut if you bonk):

http://road.cc/content/news/139868-wales-longest-disused-rail-tunnel-may-become-cycleway

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/full-steam-ahead-group-hoping-8381309

Some good resolution pictures here:
http://www.tunnelsuk.com/site_visits/2010/june/06_s_wales_01/rhondda.html

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Blaengwynfi Railway Tunnel ~ Perhaps Cycle Route
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 08:07:45 PM »
Bah how about investing in roadies for a change..I could do with some new gear and some free wind tunnel testing!

Tom

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1578
    • View Profile
Re: Blaengwynfi Railway Tunnel ~ Perhaps Cycle Route
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 10:21:14 PM »
According to today's Westen Mail the ambition is to make it possible to ride from Pontypridd to Port Talbot on the cycleway-sign me up for that!


ron b

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1253
    • View Profile
Re: Blaengwynfi Railway Tunnel ~ Perhaps Cycle Route
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 04:11:21 PM »
I think Baldric had had a word to someone, 10 million and Assembly members crawling out of the woodwork, but they  can't afford to keep Cymer swimming pool open and Afan Argoed only has funding until October not to mention schools potholes etc. Would anyone want to ride through a 2 mile tunnel? Plus the cost of safety and maintenance. The Evening post today was full of it, the only thing it did not mention is the 2 million jobs it would create. has anyone asked a cyclist if he or she would use the tunnel. Yet another cunning plan!!

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Blaengwynfi Railway Tunnel ~ Perhaps Cycle Route
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 11:11:06 PM »
I'd have to agree with Ron. Waste of money. Should be spent on maintaining important community facilities and services like health centres, libraries, swimming pools and existing relevant transport infrastructure. If Edwina thinks its a good idea then it probably isn't. And its already possible to travel from pontypridd to port talbot without any traffic...you just need to go over a few hills!

ron b

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1253
    • View Profile
Re: Blaengwynfi Railway Tunnel ~ Perhaps Cycle Route
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 08:01:52 AM »
Would there be a café in the "Tunnel", now there's an oppertunity

Tom

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1578
    • View Profile
Re: Blaengwynfi Railway Tunnel ~ Perhaps Cycle Route
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 08:47:19 AM »
I don't agree with you Ron&Rob(surprise surprise).I think you're underestimating the Economic/Tourism potential.We know that cycling tourism is a significant component of our local economy and I think this proposal would significantly enhance our 'offering' in an increasingly competitive sector.
I think if this came to fruition it would be a major draw in conjunction with what we already have and,properly marketed, you may be surprised at the benefits.(this sounds like my Ch Inst Marketing exam answers!)

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Blaengwynfi Railway Tunnel ~ Perhaps Cycle Route
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 12:17:42 PM »
Well as long as its European finding I don't mind but I'm not convinced recreational or tourism related cycling has a significant impact on the local economy. Most visitors are I reckon day trippers, arrive in car, park for free, use their own bikes on trails for a couple of hours,  maybe have coffee/ cake and leave. Its quite seasonal too. Would be interested to see the cost/ benefit analysis.

ron b

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1253
    • View Profile
Re: Blaengwynfi Railway Tunnel ~ Perhaps Cycle Route
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 03:04:27 PM »
Who would want to ride through a 2 mile tunnel, every serious rider wants to go over the Bwlch, just look at the "Sportives".