Author Topic: Roller Competition Friday 13th February  (Read 5741 times)

traine

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 254
    • View Profile
Roller Competition Friday 13th February
« on: December 27, 2014, 03:37:10 PM »
A note for your diary folks.

More detail to follow.

This is a limited 80 inch gear competition on rollers only. We have our twin Competition Rollers with a clock calibrated to 1,000 meters per revolution of the two pointers.

It is a knock out competition with riders seeded from a 1.0k time trial at the start of the night and the one to one heats only 1.0k each. The final will be a best of three with the two fastest competitors in that.

There is a Roller Trophy at the Annual Dinner for the winner and I usually offer a fizzy drink in a green bottle to the winner on the night 

It's fun, it's fast (almost 50k per hour from a standing start) and it's both good to take part in and to watch. The competitors need your vocal and perhaps your physical support. Any number of helpers are allowed per rider.

The date has been chosen to miss all of the Fridays  before  the Reliability Rides in February so no one should need to feel they cannot do both.

During January the rollers are available for practice on club nights. I will be there on the 9th, 16th and 23rd. There is a Committee Meeting on the 30th so anyone would still be able to practice but perhaps it may be delayed until a little after 8pm.

I hope that Will and a few others who gave it a go last year will return again. Your current Champion is Mark. Chris Tasker the previous year and I was the inaugural winner. Come on guys, give it a go. You have to be in it to win it.

Incidentally, we have never had a Womens Competition. We would need two to turn up to make it, but I would be willing to put up a bottle of plonk for the winner and ask if we could find a trophy from Club Funds. Come along and try it girls. There are no hills so it's not that hard ! All you need are fast spinning legs and your road bikes with the tyres pumped up hard.

Tim 

ron b

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1253
    • View Profile
Re: Roller Competition Friday 13th February
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 03:22:16 PM »
Anyone playing this Friday/

traine

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 254
    • View Profile
Re: Roller Competition Friday 13th February
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 07:18:40 PM »
Ron

I expect mark will be there as defending champion and I will also be there to make sure the trophy is awarded even if it is not to me.

I hope others will have a go, I have spoken to quite a number and have got some half yesses and a few have said they will come and watch.

I hope that we will get at least 6 even if they do want to be held and even if they have not competed before. We shall need helpers from the audience if holding is required so there is incentive in attending to take part even if there is no intention of riding. And of course, all the competitors need vocal encouragement too.

In any competition there is always the possibility that the favourite may be unable to compete on the night, leaving the way open for the less favoured ! I have no problem in not winning but I like to compete. I thought all cyclists were the same !

I hope you will be there with 20 others !

Tim

 

ron b

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1253
    • View Profile
Re: Roller Competition Friday 13th February
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 08:05:41 AM »
Any luck with the lady entries yet?

ron b

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1253
    • View Profile
Re: Roller Competition Friday 13th February
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 07:08:04 PM »
How does the seeding work for tonight?

Teresa

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 924
    • View Profile
Re: Roller Competition Friday 13th February
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 11:02:39 PM »
Some excellent roller riding this evening.

Well done to Mark for retaining his title and a special mention to Ross who nearly didn't ride, but did really well.

lajames

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 114
    • View Profile
Re: Roller Competition Friday 13th February
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 12:26:02 PM »
Round1 1km time trial

1st Mark Rosser       1min 01.65 secs
2nd Ross Shehan     1 min 11.67 secs
3rd  Tim Raine          1 min 19.83 secs
4th Chris Goodwin   1 min 23.00 secs

Round 2 knockout

Heat 1 Mark Rosser  1 min 12.69 secs  beat Tim Raine 1 min 19.18 secs
Heat 2 Ross Shehan  1 min 12.33 secs beat Chris Goodwin 1min 20.45secs

Round 3 knockout final - best of 3 rides

Heat 1 Mark Rosser  1 min 00.44 secs   beat  Ross Shehan 1 min 10.61 secs
Heat 2 Mark Rosser  1 min 00.14 secs   beat  Ross Shehan  1 min 08.08 secs

2015  Roller Champion - Mark Rosser
Though short on competitors, the challenge was an exciting start to 2015. Mark remained undefeated in retaining his title and is a worthy champion.
Surprise of the evening was the improving performance of Ross Sheldon. Well done Ross. It was good to see Tim Raine back in competition after his injury. And last but not least Chris Goodwin rode well and stylishly, with a promise of better things to come.
Norman James officiated. Well done all.

traine

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 254
    • View Profile
Re: Roller Competition Friday 13th February
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 08:42:06 PM »
A huge thank you to Norman for officiating last Friday when a good bit of sport was had.

Ross with his three point style (he kept one hand on a chair back throughout), very impressive. When he is fit on the road I would give him odds-on in any sprint ! Excellent times not reached by anyone else in the three previous years of running this event, except Mark Rosser of course.

Mark with his 60 kph speed from a standing start. WOW. Terrific. What a champion ! Anyone who wants to do the maths to calculate his leg speed (cadence) would need to know that the gearing was limited to 80 inches in one turn of the pedals. I might have a go, but life could prove to be too short !

I was pleased that, when I apologised to Mark for forgetting to bring my bottle of fizzy for the winners prize on the night, he said he never drinks the stuff. Good boy !

Chris was great, his times were close to mine so I shall watch him for next year when I hope we can make a bigger competition of it with lots of club members like Terry, Steve Landeg and Will giving it a go. See guys what an enthusiastic newbie like Ross can do !  And what about the ladies ? I could find some rose' wine.

Thanks also to everyone else for attendance and vocal support, it matters when your legs are screwing off !

Tim
 

Terry A

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
    • View Profile
Re: Roller Competition Friday 13th February
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 09:34:31 PM »
Hi Tim,

Sorry but I was double booked and couldn't make this. I enjoyed last year - even if I did finish last !! Will plan to attend next year's event ... and I guess I can do no worse than equal my previous best.

Terry
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:36:14 PM by Terry A »