Author Topic: REAR WHEELS for the larger gent  (Read 4566 times)

ron b

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1253
    • View Profile
REAR WHEELS for the larger gent
« on: October 15, 2014, 02:40:42 PM »
A 36 spoke rim, built with three cross over spokes and the spokes can be wired and soldered at the cross over. Makes for a very strong wheel but might be too rigid you may have to compromise. Do other riders have a problem with breaking spokes, share your thoughts.

Jason T

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 590
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Stuff
Re: REAR WHEELS for the larger gent
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 03:42:53 PM »
I was breaking spokes when I was heavier, the majority of the time this would be on my commute (rough roads) and I would also find that they would loose tension and this would have an impact on the ovality of the wheel.

Since moving to combinations of 32/32, 32/36 and 36/36 I've had no tension/ovality issues and only broken one spoke in over 12 months of cycling.

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: REAR WHEELS for the larger gent
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 05:03:15 PM »
I've never broken a spoke in almost 30 years of riding on the roads. I put this down to my exceptional bike handling skills, general awareness and all round brilliance.

ron b

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1253
    • View Profile
Re: REAR WHEELS for the larger gent
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 10:01:50 PM »
And I thought I was OVW Modesty Champion. Trialists in the 70's used to reduce the number of spokes in the rear wheel to improve aerodynamics, if you tried to accelerate to quickly with only 24 spokes on the rear the wheel would collapse. Modern technologies and materials now allow for less spokes and even Radial lacing. My front wheel has only 16 flat radial spokes. Google the subject, must be someone out there with the info. cross over 2or 3?

Chris Reed

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 177
    • View Profile
Re: REAR WHEELS for the larger gent
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 07:18:14 PM »
Ok so while I wait and get some nice components as they come up in various sales I have got Cyclopaedia to build me a 36spoke for the winter. I'll stick 25s on and bobs your uncle (hopefully)

CXPShimano 105 36 hole
Mavic CXP33
Sapim Strong spokes (more durable do add some weight but do not break.)



Mgalex

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 58
    • View Profile
Re: REAR WHEELS for the larger gent
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 07:58:10 AM »
And I thought I was OVW Modesty Champion. Trialists in the 70's used to reduce the number of spokes in the rear wheel to improve aerodynamics, if you tried to accelerate to quickly with only 24 spokes on the rear the wheel would collapse. Modern technologies and materials now allow for less spokes and even Radial lacing. My front wheel has only 16 flat radial spokes. Google the subject, must be someone out there with the info. cross over 2or 3?

that and you weigh marginally more than a soggy feather Rob.
Have a nice day :)

Jason T

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 590
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Stuff
Re: REAR WHEELS for the larger gent
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 08:00:49 AM »
And I thought I was OVW Modesty Champion. Trialists in the 70's used to reduce the number of spokes in the rear wheel to improve aerodynamics, if you tried to accelerate to quickly with only 24 spokes on the rear the wheel would collapse. Modern technologies and materials now allow for less spokes and even Radial lacing. My front wheel has only 16 flat radial spokes. Google the subject, must be someone out there with the info. cross over 2or 3?

that and you weigh marginally more than a soggy feather Rob.

Hope you got a good price on it and a quick turn around.... ready for this sunday or too soon?

Chris Reed

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 177
    • View Profile
Re: REAR WHEELS for the larger gent
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 07:20:42 PM »
Yeah not too bad, could have probably haggled but "supply and demand" and all that! Picking it up tomorrow to have a quick spin out before Sunday!