Author Topic: Bank Holiday Monday 26th May  (Read 12120 times)

Andy H

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2111
    • View Profile
Bank Holiday Monday 26th May
« on: April 30, 2014, 08:07:22 AM »
Planning another long one, in the hope that Chris G can make it this time.

Planned route is:- http://connect.garmin.com/course/6420231#

Open to variations on starting place and time depending on who may be interested. Post your intentions here.

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Bank Holiday Monday 26th May
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 08:21:07 AM »
Decent route. No idea if I'll be able to ride, for a number of reasons. But I will if I can!

xrayspecs

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 607
    • View Profile
Re: Bank Holiday Monday 26th May
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 02:17:12 PM »
If there are a few doing this I can meet you at mcdonalds in talbot green. Just need a time.

Andy H

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2111
    • View Profile
Re: Bank Holiday Monday 26th May
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 04:43:10 PM »
Will see how many and who are interested then agree a start time.

Andy H

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2111
    • View Profile
Re: Bank Holiday Monday 26th May
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 01:26:02 PM »
Weather looking OK for Monday, so going ahead with planned ride. Will alter route to allow for ice-cream/lunch/coffee stop in Hapus Ice Cream Parlor in Machen.

WARNING! Lanes around Pontypool/Blaenavon don't have the greatest surface, so don't bring your 'best' carbon wheels, if you're coming along.
Route has plenty of climbing, some toughies and gets us to different parts of South Wales.

All welcome and I'd prefer to start at 8 a.m.

Post if you're coming along  and arrange a meet if you're not starting in Brackla

Jason T

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 590
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Stuff
Re: Bank Holiday Monday 26th May
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 02:23:15 PM »
This new diet Oly has me on leaves me with screaming legs around the 50 mile mark, very unpleasant  :(

So as much as I would like to join this one I don't think I would make it with all those climbs.... is that an alternative climb up The Tumble around the 60 mile mark?

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Bank Holiday Monday 26th May
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 06:33:27 PM »
Jason  :o :o :o

Andy H

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2111
    • View Profile
Re: Bank Holiday Monday 26th May
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 06:41:45 PM »
Yes Jason, its through the lanes on the course of Blaenafon triathlon.

Suggest you ditch the diet for the day!

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Bank Holiday Monday 26th May
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 07:30:01 PM »
My thoughts exactly. Ditch it the day before also, to be sure to be sure!

Jason T

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 590
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Stuff
Re: Bank Holiday Monday 26th May
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 07:20:50 AM »
You might be right there, I guess I just need the right amount of carbs the day before and stick with what used to be my usual breakfast for these rides... I'll have to speak with him on Tuesday about it and perhaps take an easy ride tomorrow to see how I feel.

Does anyone know what the numbers are looking like for Monday?

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Bank Holiday Monday 26th May
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 07:46:14 AM »
I'm working on my permissions. Keen to partially make up for very little cycling all week. Happy with Andys proposed 8am start time. Be good to have more than 3 this time...super route!

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Bank Holiday Monday 26th May
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 07:51:29 AM »
And I'll probably knock about 2 hours (or40miles) out of ride by joining and leaving you further east

Andy H

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2111
    • View Profile
Re: Bank Holiday Monday 26th May
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 09:43:15 AM »
I'll canvass the amblers tomorrow morning!!

Leave Brackla 8.am Llantrisant 8.30ish

wardhaugh

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
Re: Bank Holiday Monday 26th May
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 12:41:17 PM »
That looks like a great route - I hope to make it - confirm tomorrow. I remember doing that climb between Machen and Rogerstone with Rob J and Mark Ellis - I also remember the descent being worse than the climb - steep and 'technical'.

wardhaugh

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
Re: Bank Holiday Monday 26th May
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 12:42:37 PM »
PS - also looking forward to seeing if I can stay with Andy H on the climbs given how skinny he was looking at CIP the other morning  :P