Author Topic: Club Gravel Ride 05/06/22  (Read 3433 times)

Paul R

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 181
    • View Profile
Club Gravel Ride 05/06/22
« on: June 03, 2022, 08:03:26 PM »
Approximately 47 miles, 4800ft of climbing starting at the black path Wildmill.
Two options for coffee stop, either the Refreshment Rooms Cymmer or The Afan Lodge.

Meet at black path Wildmill at 9am. Route attached:

http://www.strava.com/routes/2967875082135670936

Paul R

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 181
    • View Profile
Re: Club Gravel Ride 05/06/22
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 09:47:55 AM »
Due to the inclement weather I decided to wait under the railway bridge in Wildmill, thinking it was going to be a very wet solo ride! To my surprise Mark R and Steven M turned up and we set off to arrive at the black path for 9am. The rain stopped and we set off on the posted route. Half way up the valley the rain started again so we decided to climb the mountain from Pontycymer instead of Blaengarw, unfortunately this caused us to miss Rob C who had planned to meet us on the Blaengarw climb.

The weather didn't improve much during the climb so Mark and Steven decided to cut-back over Nantymoel and head for home. I waited for Rob at the top of the Bwlch and we continued the ride. The weather improved and spirits lifted so we continued on to the planned stop at the Afan Lodge for cake and coffee. After refreshments we continued to complete the original route where we got very mucky riding down the Bryn cycle path, actually Rob got very mucky riding on my wheel  :)

The weather improved and I was almost dry by the time I got home. Great fun!


RobC

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
    • View Profile
Re: Club Gravel Ride 05/06/22
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 12:58:33 PM »
I don't recall the weather improving, but my spirits did lift after I got home.