Author Topic: Easter Monday Epic 21st April  (Read 16281 times)

Andy H

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2111
    • View Profile
Easter Monday Epic 21st April
« on: March 30, 2014, 09:30:34 PM »
Anybody interested in an Easter epic, early start,  Monday morning, weather permitting, 100+ miles. Day after Bynea 30 TT, so chance for a recovery ride!  LOL  ;D

Brackla, Neath, Pontardawe, Black Mountain, Llandovery,  (lunch/coffee stop) Sennybridge, Devil's Elbow, Penderyn, Rhigos, Bwlch, Brackla

Thought it's about time we took in some of the excellent riding further afield!

This is probably a 6+ hour ride so would plan to be on the road 7/8 o'clock, I can navigate to Sennybridge but would be great if somebody came along that knew the Sennybridge - Devil's Elbow - Penderyn section.





Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Easter Monday Epic 21st April
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 09:34:21 PM »
Nice idea. I chose the Hereford 25 over the Bynnea 30 however, the date for which clashes. Still might be tempted if its a warm and sunny day

Tom

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1578
    • View Profile
Re: Easter Monday Epic 21st April
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 10:11:10 PM »
Fortumately I'm in Spain over Easter but from personal experience watch that junction with the A40 in the Bynea 30!!

Jason T

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 590
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Stuff
Re: Easter Monday Epic 21st April
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 07:55:46 AM »
I was looking at The Devils Elbow Route last week and it looks like it would be a nice ride with good weather.

Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to make this one as I believe the 21st is Track Night at Newport.

Andy H

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2111
    • View Profile
Re: Easter Monday Epic 21st April
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 08:43:58 AM »
Definitely back in time for track night!

Jason T

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 590
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Stuff
Re: Easter Monday Epic 21st April
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 05:36:40 PM »
I would make it back in time, maybe, but I don't think my legs would cope  :o

xrayspecs

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 607
    • View Profile
Re: Easter Monday Epic 21st April
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 07:23:38 PM »
Working again always seems to be when there is one of these rides.

Andy H

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2111
    • View Profile
Re: Easter Monday Epic 21st April
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 11:10:20 AM »
Weather looking ok for Monday, ( bbc 'sunny intervals' ), planning this, if anybody wants a change to riding the Vale!

http://connect.garmin.com/course/6295061

Plenty of hills and excellent practice for upcoming sportives. Easy pace, just out to enjoy the riding. Coffee stop in Llandovery, fish 'n' chips in Treorchy!

8.00 am start

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Easter Monday Epic 21st April
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 12:54:45 PM »
Hi Andy. I am pondering against TT in Hereford.

What's your eta back in bridgend (excluding any fish and chips allowance in treorchy :D)?


Andy H

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2111
    • View Profile
Re: Easter Monday Epic 21st April
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 03:42:55 PM »
Guess it must be at least 6 hours riding, not planning on spending much time on coffee stops, so 2.30 - 3.00 back in Bridgend.

I'm happy to start earlier, also pondering a different route:- http://connect.garmin.com/course/6295146

Start and finish in Storey Arms, happy to pick you up, probably an hour or so quicker doing this route.

Andy H

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2111
    • View Profile
Re: Easter Monday Epic 21st April
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 03:49:04 PM »

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Easter Monday Epic 21st April
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 04:09:08 PM »
Preference for your option 1. However unless you are keen to get a 100 miler, suggest taking the scenic and shorter old Roman road from the bottom of black mountain to trecastle. There is a garage with a good cafe there for a coffee?

Are others interested BTW? If not I'll need to make up my mind what I'm doing sooner rather than later (which goes against my instincts). After a short spin on TT bike today I am definitely favouring an epic ride Monday at the moment. Got a big lunch planned Sunday to work off too!

Jason T

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 590
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Stuff
Re: Easter Monday Epic 21st April
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
If it will be an easy pace then I would be up for one of the routes on Monday.

If no one will be joining us from west of Llanharan then I would favour the following route as it would be an early start;
http://connect.garmin.com/course/6303948

Which is the other route you mention Rob... scenic Roman Road?

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Easter Monday Epic 21st April
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 04:29:33 PM »
The original but cutting out langradog and llandovery by cutting across the top between the black mountain and trecastle.

 The other 2 routes I am not fussed on because they traverse the south of the beacons/ heads of valleys on busy A roads ... Ystragwynlais, glynneath and all that.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 05:59:23 PM by Rob Jones »

xrayspecs

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 607
    • View Profile
Re: Easter Monday Epic 21st April
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 05:12:54 PM »
I'm in work. Can feel the envy welling up already.