Author Topic: tyre versus skin  (Read 4989 times)

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
tyre versus skin
« on: March 01, 2014, 06:28:48 PM »
I remember someone posting recently about tips to get a stubborn new tyre on a rim. Though I offered some helpful advice at the time including talc, my main thought was to man up!

This afternoon I applied that logic alone....until I had successfully removed the skin off the top half of my left thumb entirely and left my right thumb in a big blister, ready to come off too! While I was applying germaline and plaster my dad succeeded to snap it on with a tyre lever!

Guess I had been fortunate never to have had such a stubborn combination of rim and tyre before. For info. the combo I was struggling with was a shimano rs81 rim (unusually wide) and a Michelin pro race 4. The tyres I have fitted many times with no probs so its shimano I am blaming! Thankfully I don't have a matching rear wheel!


Tom

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1578
    • View Profile
Re: tyre versus skin
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 11:06:53 PM »
I'm surprised at that Rob-is it a very deep rim-I can normally roll Pro Race 3 and 4 on without a tyre lever.You've got me worried about puncturing in Mallorca now!Anyway you should be riding something more durable(and much harder to change)at this time of year! :)

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: tyre versus skin
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 07:56:47 AM »
I am Tom, this was as for the TT next week. It is a deep 50mm rim though don't see that should make any difference. Anyway once the tyre is on once it should be fine as it has been stretched....so should not worry re Majorca! Agree the mich pros are normally easy fit.

Shawn

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 139
    • View Profile
Re: tyre versus skin
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 10:08:25 PM »
Rob it was me with the stubborn tyre, the "puncture resistant" Gatorskins. So you can imagine my dismay when I punctured on the way to work t'other day. I was kind of envisaging an hour long roadside torment fighting to get the tyre back on. But low and behold it popped back on no problem, much to my relief.
Whatever caused the flat must have been hefty as I was left with two decent sized holes in the rubber of the tyre (looks like an industrial staple). With that in mind is it worth replacing the tyre or ok to run with the holes in the rubber?