Author Topic: Winter bike advice  (Read 11308 times)

xrayspecs

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 607
    • View Profile
Winter bike advice
« on: September 06, 2018, 07:10:35 PM »
At the risk of starting one of those how long is a piece of string discussions..
I was thinking of this, they also do a titanium one for £1000 more which I didn't think was necessary
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cgr/
Any thoughts?

ron b

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1253
    • View Profile
Re: Winter bike advice
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 07:52:56 PM »
Perfect for Welsh cycle paths, cos they are always covered in gravel.

Paul Nicholas

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 229
    • View Profile
Re: Winter bike advice
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 08:43:22 PM »
I was looking at the caadx but then cannondale released the topcheck which is their gravel bike starting at £1000 the £1500 105 hydro disk version is probably the best option. In the end I decided to invest 35 quid for some mudguards and got some mismatched wheels off the garage wall for my old cycloX bike. Once the nobbly tyres wear out I’ll buy some slicks.

Paul Nicholas

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 229
    • View Profile
Re: Winter bike advice
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 08:48:12 PM »
What happened to the Ribble 525 steel you had? If you can get the gravel jobbie for a grand with hydro brakes and the BB is threaded I would go for that.

harpo

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 624
    • View Profile
Re: Winter bike advice
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 09:22:59 PM »
Mr rosser got the ribble cyclocross with disc very similar, he should now what they are like

xrayspecs

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 607
    • View Profile
Re: Winter bike advice
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 08:56:04 AM »
Thanks guys.
I sold the Ribble as it only had clearance for 23 mm tyres, I like 25 or perhaps 28 in the winter. I don't really intend riding it off road, and it must have mudguard eyelets.

ron b

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1253
    • View Profile
Re: Winter bike advice
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 08:28:20 PM »
Lots of drivil on Gravel bikes to be found in Cycling Weekly on line, plus an article on the single chain ring found on a lot of MTBs today. Interesting?

Tom

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1578
    • View Profile
Re: Winter bike advice
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 10:42:30 PM »
you mean as opposed to the erudite comments invariably posted on this forum Ron?

Paul Nicholas

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 229
    • View Profile
Re: Winter bike advice
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 11:27:20 PM »
Seems to be a lot of crap out there in the press pushing new standards on bikes at the moment and a lot of vocal "cyclists" online insisting that we need new tech on bicycles, I'm not convinced theres any benefit to 1x drivetrains or disk brakes on road bikes. I was sceptical about the gravel bike trend but after I looked into it I think they make a lot of sense, fast road bikes with all the bosses, eyelets and clearance you need for a do it all commuter or winter training bike.