Poll

Which route would you like?

Short Sharp Hills Nothing Over 300m - 43 miles
0 (0%)
Over Bwlch via Afan - 43 miles
0 (0%)
St Fagans via Miskin - 37 miles
0 (0%)
Porthcawl via Fountains Lane - 35 miles
1 (20%)
Caerphilly Mountain - 42 miles.
4 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: May 20, 2018, 02:54:17 PM

Author Topic: Amblers ride 20th May  (Read 3375 times)

Ben

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 778
    • View Profile
Amblers ride 20th May
« on: May 15, 2018, 02:54:17 PM »
Weather is looking rather nice again for this weekend. Plenty of choices for some nice ambling in the sunny weather. My usual little caveat's apply. If there's any new riders who may not be confident with any of these routes they will be changed to accomodate. We will try and wait for anyone as usual. If you can think of a different ride you'd like to try let me know and we can try that too.

Short Sharp Hills - https://www.strava.com/routes/13055747

Similar to last week's ride - Ewenny, Colwinston, Llysworny, Llanblethian, St Hilary, Llancarfan, Penmark, Porthkerry Park (coffee here), Rhoose, Aberthaw, Gileston, St Athan, Llantwit, Wick Road to Death Valley then home.

Over Bwlch Via Afan - https://www.strava.com/routes/12588793

Laleston, Pyle, Margam, Afan Argoed (coffee here) Cwmavon, Cymmer, Top of Bwlch, Nant-y-Moel, Llangeinor then home

St Fagans Via Miskin - https://www.strava.com/routes/12270086

Pencoed, Brynna, Llanharan, Miskin, Pendoylan, Peterston-super-ely, St Fagans (Coffee here), Pendoylan, Tredodridge, Welsh St Donats, City and the Midweek route back

Porthcawl Via Fountains Lane - https://www.strava.com/routes/11443793

Coity, Pen-y-cae, Fountains Lane, Pyle, Kenfig, Porthcawl (Broomwagon for coffee), Mount Pleasant, Llangewydd, Laleston, Ewenny, Lampha, Colwinston, Troes and home

Caerphilly Mountain (I haven't ridden this before but it looks ok on Google Maps) - https://www.strava.com/routes/10871124

Pencoed, Llanharan, Llantrisant, Llantwit Fadre, Church Village, Ton-teg, Nantgarw, Caerphilly (coffee here), Tongwynlais, Pentyrch, Creigiau, Miskin, Pontyclun, Llanharan, Pencoed.

Enough of a choice I hope and descriptive enough for everyone. Anyone from Llantwit Major or St Athan I'll be at my usual place (see the picture below) at 8.05 to ride over to Brackla so you're welcome to join me.




While you're here. Please can you look at my link in my signature and maybe make a donation to Macmillan cancer support?

ron b

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1253
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride 20th May
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 07:52:05 PM »
Out with my Grandson this weekend for a bit of M T B. You are right about the weather.

Ben

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 778
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride 20th May
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 11:11:17 AM »
I don't think I'll make it. I twisted my knee on the way to work yesterday :-(

Nick H

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 96
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride 20th May
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 06:09:49 PM »
Carrie and I plan to be there tomorrow - happy to lead a gentle tour around the Vale, or wherever folks want to go..

Ben

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 778
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride 20th May
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 06:30:13 PM »
Thanks Nick. I think I may have overdone it recently. A couple of days rest should sort it out (I hope)

Nick H

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 96
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride 20th May
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 02:53:43 PM »
Another glorious day for a bike ride; Seven of us set out today, Jonathan (who didn't fancy the Gower), Paul E testing his new bike, Simon, John, Carrie H, Lee and myself. The broad consensus was for the cooling breeze (and possible ice-cream?) at the top of the Bwlch. It was a ride punctuated by stops for coffee and occasional cramp! We headed via Coity and headed over Llangeinor Hill. Regrouping at the top, we waited a while for John who had said on the way up that he was getting some cramp. After a couple of minutes, I dropped down again to find him but he had disappeared. Hopefully he got home OK.

After my "hill reps" I caught up with the rest of the group who had kindly waited at Wyndham on the pretext of deciding whether to take "Tom's back lanes" or head straight up via Nant-y-Moel. In honour of Ben's poorly knee, we went via his favourite route past the clock tower, to the soundtrack of heavy breathing, my troublesome chainring and Lee's in-depth Strava segment analysis.

Once over the peaks (devoid of ice-cream vans), we stopped at the Afan Argoed Cafe, where we bumped into Ron who was out with his Grandson. Paul took the chance there to adjust his handlebars, which fortunately hadn't quite fallen off. There was brief confusion when someone asked "where's Lee" as we were gathering to set off - but it was Lee who was asking....

Home route via Margam, A48, until we turned off via Wriggly's, except Paul who carried on for his ride home. The group disbanded further at Bridgend, but Simon, Carrie and I were joined at B&Q by Paul L who continued via the "Tuesday" route with Simon who wanted a few more miles (before his afternoon half-marathon..) as Carrie and I broke off for home.

An enjoyable ride....thanks everyone.

Ben

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 778
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride 20th May
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 03:28:43 PM »
Thanks for taking the group Nick. Wish I'd been able to get out but I'm not touching the bike until Tuesday.