Author Topic: How many miles did you ride in January?  (Read 14839 times)

Steven

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1493
    • View Profile
How many miles did you ride in January?
« on: January 30, 2014, 08:36:51 PM »
So it's official - it's been a wet one.  Did it stop you getting out?  I managed 408 miles, which was about in line with my target.

How did you get on?

Steven

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1493
    • View Profile
Re: How many miles did you ride in January?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 08:55:55 PM »

I should add that turbo, rollers or spinning currency is 14 miles for each hours spent.  Happy for you triathletes to throw in your running and swimming too !

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: How many miles did you ride in January?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »
Now that's just low...you know full well that just about all of us had a p1ss poor January.

I'm not even going to look.

marknott

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 178
    • View Profile
Re: How many miles did you ride in January?
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 11:52:27 PM »
364 miles for me, not quite my target of 400 miles but considering the weather,ok with that !!!

Andy H

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2111
    • View Profile
Re: How many miles did you ride in January?
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 06:46:54 AM »
477...... but surely its about quality not quantity!

xrayspecs

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 607
    • View Profile
Re: How many miles did you ride in January?
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 10:00:13 AM »
723 but I would agree quality not quantity.
Not sure I agree with your currency conversion as you never stop pedalling on a trainer so I think it is equal to the road

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: How many miles did you ride in January?
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 11:50:53 AM »
Hour on rollers or turbo likely to be more effective than same time on road. But no air resistance so rollers in particular will exagerate distance covered/ ave speed.

xrayspecs

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 607
    • View Profile
Re: How many miles did you ride in January?
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 01:49:59 PM »
I suppose my point was these factors probably cancel each other out. Mark R suggested to me to put wider tyres on for rollers for a bit of resistance (both for wear and ride) which I have found to be quite helpful as I was spinning along a bit at first. I have bonded so well with my 25 mm armadillos I have been riding them on club runs as well.

ron b

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1253
    • View Profile
Re: How many miles did you ride in January?
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 06:50:11 PM »
The amount of effort required on the turbo or on the road must count towards monthly training. Are hours on the road at level 2 the same as long intervals (15 on 5 off) on the turbo. Chris what turbo do you have, I am not able to spin my top gear or any of the top gears for any length of time at a reasonable cadence 80 rpm.

xrayspecs

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 607
    • View Profile
Re: How many miles did you ride in January?
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 07:39:50 PM »
Minoura hyper mag it's about 10 years old. Was tempted by robs but beaten to it.
My cadence is usually 90 to 100 110 to 120 on rollers.

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: How many miles did you ride in January?
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 09:05:17 PM »
My cadence is related to how hard I am trying. On a club run mid 80s but a TT 100+. I think this is typical. The harder you ride the more you need to spin to avoid muscle fatigue.

Try riding at a very easy pace at a high cadence. It will probably feel uncomfortable.

BTW it took me about 12 months of riding rollers to realise you can stop pedalling and stretch without falling off. Its only when the wheels completely stop that you can fall off. Evennthen its very gradual, your wheels don't simply slide away from you. Its remarkably easy to stop pedalling for a few seconds and then resume. Aside from the limitation presented by the rollers width, it really is just the same as riding on the road balance wise.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 08:25:06 PM by Rob Jones »

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: How many miles did you ride in January?
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 11:35:21 AM »
I did more miles than I thought in Jan = 591. But this was less than I managed in the party month of December!

ron b

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1253
    • View Profile
Re: How many miles did you ride in January?
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 06:00:31 PM »
Rob,What percentage max HR are you doing when on the turbo at the high cadence and for how long?

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: How many miles did you ride in January?
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 07:20:23 PM »
I don't have a turbo Ron, sold it to Will few weeks ago. On rollers about 93-95% for 5 min intervals and 89-93% for 20 min intervals. Its difficult to answer your question though as my HR will rise both during the interval and from one to the next; also depends a lot on how much recovery time I take between intervals.

Shawn

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 139
    • View Profile
Re: How many miles did you ride in January?
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 09:04:54 PM »
I got myself a turbo last winter and so far I would imagine I have not done much more than 100 miles on it.
I just don't seem to be able to ge ton with it.

I am half tempted by rollers but was wondering: What is the tyre wear like on rollers compared to a turbo? When riding rollers do you still switch to a specific set of training wheels?