Author Topic: Reliability Rides 2014.  (Read 40994 times)

ron b

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1253
    • View Profile
Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2014, 08:59:27 AM »
Weather looks bad for Sunday, going over the Bwllch in heavy rain and 24 mph winds (at sea level) not the best idea. Safety of all the riders is most important. Sian and myself will not be riding this week. Visibility could be very bad at that height and puncture or a breakdown would not be very pleasant.

Tony M

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 251
    • View Profile
Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2014, 03:37:39 PM »
Asking as a newbie. Do these runs ever get postponed due to poor weather conditions? As Ron B pointed out Sunday has rain and high winds which could be a bit awkward if visibility is low high-up!  ???

ron b

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1253
    • View Profile
Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2014, 05:33:23 PM »
It's up to the Club Captain to decide if the event is postponed or not. last year we had fantastic clear blue skies for the same ride. I went over the Bwllch in a car on Monday and visibility was very poor. The decision to ride is up to the individual.

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2014, 05:48:00 PM »
 it would normally be premature to make a decision based on what is still quite a long range forecast.

Paul Longthorn

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 330
    • View Profile
Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2014, 12:46:45 PM »
I agree with Ron the weather could be a concern, but also think Rob makes a valid point it's still a couple of days left to see if the forecast is correct.

Paul Longthorn

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 330
    • View Profile
Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2014, 07:55:04 AM »
Weather looks a little better for tomorrow, forecast from the BBC this morning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2654755

sianharris50

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 63
    • View Profile
Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2014, 08:41:00 AM »
I'm with Ron on ths one, weather not good for tomorrow I won't be going out :(

Steven

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1493
    • View Profile
Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2014, 08:55:51 AM »

I must be looking at the wrong ones because all I can see is little or no rain, mild and a tailwind up the Bwlch!

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2014, 09:03:22 AM »
Its forecast not fact people. Make your decisions when you rise and shine  8)


Tom

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1578
    • View Profile
Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2014, 10:17:46 AM »
I've been studying the forecast all week-it's a bit confusing-the weather in Bridgend looks ok but try looking at the weather for Treorchy!Maybe we should stick to a circuit of Brackla!As Rob says lets have a look at it in the morning and keep our fingers crossed

RichardB

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1387
    • View Profile
Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2014, 11:14:13 AM »
Forecast for Cymmer very poor too. I want to ride but will leave final decision until the morning.

Andy H

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2111
    • View Profile
Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2014, 01:08:19 PM »
Accuweather no rain, 15 mph tailwind up Bwlch.

BBC weather online doesn't update after Friday
so ignore.

See you at 8.30 sign on

Ps I'll be the one sitting in the car in warm clothing.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 01:10:36 PM by Andy H »

Terry A

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
    • View Profile
Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2014, 01:49:56 PM »
Change the location to Blaengwynfi - and voila - this is what you get for Sunday as of right now on the BBC site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/3345325

Change the location to Bridgend and it's another world; in fact, the difference is downright weird.

I'm a firm believer that the best forecast is to look out of the window ... and so that's what I'll do bright and early tomorrow





Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2014, 02:18:06 PM »
Exactly right Terry. I have missed many rides (especially commutes) I could have enjoyed on the basis of incorrect forecasts. And I have been caught short on many rides due to incorrect forecasts. Fingers crossed!

RichardB

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1387
    • View Profile
Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2014, 03:03:33 PM »
Andy is it 8-15 sign in for an 8-30 start?