Author Topic: Tour Of Britain Clubrun 10th September  (Read 8690 times)

Steve Chapman

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 209
    • View Profile
Tour Of Britain Clubrun 10th September
« on: September 02, 2017, 07:38:50 PM »
This is going to be a great day out! what do you guys think about a nice ride ending up in Cardiff for 2pm? We then get to watch the final 20km circuit. ( i think its 4 laps ) May need some help with a route, obviously the weather is going to be key!

Ben

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 778
    • View Profile
Re: Tour Of Britain Clubrun 10th September
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 07:52:45 PM »
I'd love to. But I'll be marshalling somewhere en route :-)

RichardB

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1387
    • View Profile
Re: Tour Of Britain Clubrun 10th September
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 07:48:28 AM »
I'm up for this.

Jason T

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 590
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Stuff
Re: Tour Of Britain Clubrun 10th September
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 12:56:50 PM »
Sounds good to me, you'll have to get a route loaded for your Garmin  ;D

Nick Langley

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 200
    • View Profile
Re: Tour Of Britain Clubrun 10th September
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 09:42:23 PM »
I'm in

Steve Chapman

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 209
    • View Profile
Re: Tour Of Britain Clubrun 10th September
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 01:38:26 PM »
Weather not looking good for Sunday! BBC forecasting gale force winds :o Anyone got any route suggestions?

Ben

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 778
    • View Profile
Re: Tour Of Britain Clubrun 10th September
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 02:24:21 PM »
If it were me riding. I'd go up to the top of Watery lane then through to Gwern-y-steeple, Peterston-super-ely, St Brides-super-ely, St Fagans then into Cardiff via Fairwater.

Nige

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 601
    • View Profile
Re: Tour Of Britain Clubrun 10th September
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 07:41:11 PM »
sounds like a plan, good for me.

Jason T

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 590
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Stuff
Re: Tour Of Britain Clubrun 10th September
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 07:31:51 AM »
If the weather stays as forecast I may peel off as I don't really fancy 8+ hours out in the rain and in that wind  :(

It looks like it would be five hour ride to the ToB (09:00 Start and Cardiff for 14:00), I guess a long coffee stop half way through and one down the bay would stretch the time out if it's horrible.

Greg B

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 470
    • View Profile
Re: Tour Of Britain Clubrun 10th September
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 10:30:19 AM »
I'll be there

Ben

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 778
    • View Profile
Re: Tour Of Britain Clubrun 10th September
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 12:10:33 PM »
I'm there from 10am to 4.30pm :(

RichardB

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1387
    • View Profile
Re: Tour Of Britain Clubrun 10th September
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 10:45:00 PM »
I think the earliest they are going to get into Cardiff is 14:40

http://d2cx26qpfwuhvu.cloudfront.net/tour-britain/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/18110848/ToB-2017-S8-Worcester-Cardiff-ETA-v11.pdf

This brings them into the final 4 circuits of 20km.

Potentially lots of hanging around in the wind and rain and then cycling home in the same conditions. Not sure this sounds too appealing.

Picking up on Jason's point of a 5 hour ride that is only necessary if you still chose to go out at 9am, you can of course go out later.

I'm going to give the ToB a miss and I'll post a ride for a routine chasers ride.

Steve Chapman

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 209
    • View Profile
Re: Tour Of Britain Clubrun 10th September
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 12:32:21 PM »
would anyone prefer to go out later? Something like 11am and then ride straight to Cardiff.

Nick Langley

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 200
    • View Profile
Re: Tour Of Britain Clubrun 10th September
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 02:18:59 PM »
In the interests of attempting to satisfy TOB attendees and non-attendees, I propose something like the following.....

9am - Meet at Physiques and a quick 13 mile loop of Ogmore (or similar) to be done and return to Brackla for about 9:45-9:50

10am - Leave Physiques, heading out to Laleston, returning via New Inn Road to Ewenny, up Death Valley then a blast along the coast road taking advantage of the wind and get a paceline going. Once just passed Barry (near Wenvoe golf club) there is the option for non-attendees to head North through Wenvoe and up towards the A48 where you can return to Bridgend (approx. 55miles if you started at 9)

TOB attendees continue through Sully (potential for a coffee stop at Cosmeston Lake) and Penarth. Go through Cardiff and out via Newport Flats (roads are open until 2pm and if we are ahead of schedule at this point we can go further out). Head up through Marshfield then come back into Cardiff from the North picking up the same run in as the Velothon. At this point we can stop off on Museum Avenue where all the team trucks will be parked, there is a coffee shop near there but I reckon it will probably be rammed so I suggest heading down to the bay to Coffee Mania and watch somewhere on Lloyd George Avenue. It will be about 70 miles up to this point and after 30mins around the trucks and 30mins for coffee I reckon it will be about 14:00. Watch the race then return home via St Fagans, Pontyclun, Llanharan, Pencoed etc.

93 miles for a 9am start and 80miles with the 10am start. See potential route below and I am more than open to suggested improvements.

https://www.strava.com/routes/10498243

Nick


harpo

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 624
    • View Profile
Re: Tour Of Britain Clubrun 10th September
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 03:51:15 PM »
No way I'm starting at 11! Ain't been out all week, better weather early on.  Will be there at 9! 8)