Author Topic: Fixed wheel bikes  (Read 4031 times)

ron b

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1253
    • View Profile
Fixed wheel bikes
« on: January 17, 2014, 11:58:58 AM »
I have an old TT frame which I want to convert to a single speed, so rear wheel, it was fitted with a 10 speed block, what size axle will I need. Chain ring/ chain, is this a different size from a normal chain width. Bike will be used on the road with brakes. All info greatly appreciated.

Steven

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1493
    • View Profile
Re: Fixed wheel bikes
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 01:00:40 PM »
The chain, chainring and sprocket are different. You will need to ensure it is exactly in line by using spacers.

Jason T

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 590
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Stuff
Re: Fixed wheel bikes
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 03:04:14 PM »
I would suggest looking at a rear wheel with a flip-flop hub, best to check if the bike has vertical dropouts or you'll be looking at a chain tension system.

Also worth checking your chain line as you might be able to use your existing cranks.

Chris Tasker

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 87
    • View Profile
Re: Fixed wheel bikes
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 04:15:55 PM »
Hi Ron,

Check out this site, it'll answer all your questions and has a good gallery for ideas. http://www.lfgss.com

Chris