Author Topic: Chaser's Ride - Sunday 18 December - 0900 start!  (Read 7018 times)

Mark Pope

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 675
    • View Profile
Chaser's Ride - Sunday 18 December - 0900 start!
« on: December 16, 2016, 10:14:47 AM »
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/14096332

Due to Xmas shopping chores and recent late finishes I thought I'd propose a slightly shorter route for this Sunday, as well as a potential earlier start time, i.e. 0900 rather than 0930. The above route is around 44 miles (27 miles to coffee stop) and provides a number of escape routes for the domestically time challenged. The route is:

Brackla - Coychurch - Treoes - Llangan - Craig Penllyn - Llanharry - Talbot Green - Smilog - Royal Mint - Llantrisant Common - Old Llantrisant - Groes Faen - Miskin - Hensol Forest - Welsh St Donuts - Watery Lane - Aberthin - Cowbridge - 3 Steps Hill - Nash Point - Llantwit Major - Wick - St Brides - Ogmore - Ewenny - Bridgend - Brackla

The coffee stop is planned for Cowbridge (Costas).  I'd be grateful if you'd let me know your thoughts on the earlier start time?

See you Sunday.

Mark

mal jones

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 458
    • View Profile
Re: Chaser's Ride - Sunday 18 December - 0900 start!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 12:41:50 PM »
Suits me as I need to be home by about 12 I'll go A48 from cowbridge to Bridgend

RichardB

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1387
    • View Profile
Re: Chaser's Ride - Sunday 18 December - 0900 start!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 07:01:52 PM »
No time restrictions for me on Sunday so may go for a longer one.

Tom

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1578
    • View Profile
Re: Chaser's Ride - Sunday 18 December - 0900 start!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 10:17:14 PM »
I don't have a problem myself Mark but I wonder if changing the start time at relatively short notice could lead to some missing the ride,especially if the other 2 rides stick to 9.30.Not everyone reads the guest book as assiduously as us!

Nige

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 601
    • View Profile
Re: Chaser's Ride - Sunday 18 December - 0900 start!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 10:02:12 AM »
Pacers meeting up at 09:00 as might only be a couple. Might tag with chasers but do some extra miles at the end.

Roy Richards

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 44
    • View Profile
Re: Chaser's Ride - Sunday 18 December - 0900 start!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 10:49:28 AM »
Mark

I'm flexible about the timing, just let me know the result of the referendum.

Thanks.

Roy2. 

Tom

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1578
    • View Profile
Re: Chaser's Ride - Sunday 18 December - 0900 start!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 12:19:22 PM »
Chris Matthews can't post here but has contacted me to ask if it will be ok if he joins us tomorrow.Obviously I told him definitely not and stay away.I have warned him it may be 9 rather than 9.30 and to watch the GB(he can read but not post)

Mark Pope

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 675
    • View Profile
Re: Chaser's Ride - Sunday 18 December - 0900 start!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 01:14:55 PM »
OK, it's a runaway referendum win for an early start (1-0)!  ;D. Therefore, the start time for tomorrow's Chaser's ride is 0900 at Brackla.  I will repost this as a separate heading to try and inform as many people as possible. We'll be delighted to welcome Chris Matthews along as well Tom. For those who want to bag a few more miles there's always the option of adding on the A48, Laleston, Cefn Cribwr, Aberkenfig loop to bring a modicum of respectability to the ride length. However, the posted route is a tad more leg sapping than it looks.

See you at 0900.

Mark

Tom

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1578
    • View Profile
Re: Chaser's Ride - Sunday 18 December - 0900 start!
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 07:21:52 PM »
I hadn't realised there are multiple threads for tomorrow's ride-see my post on the other thread-I will cover for Ron at be at the Triangle at 9.30-same route as Chasers-if as I expect I'm on my own you Chasers had better go full gas or live with the humiliation of me catching you on my Massey-Ferguson!

Mark Pope

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 675
    • View Profile
Re: Chaser's Ride - Sunday 18 December - 0900 start!
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 05:02:34 PM »
A good turnout today on what turned out to be a reasonably mild, dry and eventually almost sunny morning. Eleven Chasers set off from Brackla at the slightly earlier Winter time of 0900 ;) to take a shorter than usual but deceptively lumpy jaunt around the Vale. We bagged a few lesser used lumps on the way to Llanharry and Llantrisant as well as a few more regular hills such as Llantrisant Forest and over the Common and up to old Llantrisant. We also cut through the golf course at Hensol before racing to Cowbridge to head off the Cardiff Ajax posse who were also heading to Costa's, before we managed to get the jump on them and win the race to the front of the coffee queue.

After coffee and cake we headed up the steps (as it's known on Strava) to Nash Corner and home via Llantwit, Wick and the Coast, with the pace picking up a tad from Nash onwards. Congratulations to James Criddle for completing 44 miles with only one cleat, although as he's only 20 he should be able to ride that distance in bare feet, so only minor kudos points. We managed to converge with the Ambler's at Costa's too, with Tom's group successfully chasing us down via a few of Tom's devious short cuts.

Out today were:

Steve Curry
Will John
Terry
Tony
Lee S
Mal
Mike Hill (mostly)!
James Criddle
Rich (James' bike Dad)
Roy Richards (James' bike Grandad)
Mark P

Obviously next Sunday is Xmas Day, so I doubt if there will be a formal club run. However, I have chatted to Andy about the annual Xmas Plough and Harrow ride and the most likely day for that will be Tuesday the 27th of December, but there will be a separate thread to confirm this.

Mark



Tom

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1578
    • View Profile
Re: Chaser's Ride - Sunday 18 December - 0900 start!
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 05:15:22 PM »
good report Mark but we weren't the Amblers today-it was the Chasers part 2!

Ben

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 778
    • View Profile
Re: Chaser's Ride - Sunday 18 December - 0900 start!
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 06:17:27 PM »
Obviously next Sunday is Xmas Day, so I doubt if there will be a formal club run. However, I have chatted to Andy about the annual Xmas Plough and Harrow ride and the most likely day for that will be Tuesday the 27th of December, but there will be a separate thread to confirm this.

Mark

If at all possible Wednesday the 28th would be great for me. I'm working the Tuesday:-(