Author Topic: Winter chain gangs  (Read 7950 times)

xrayspecs

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 607
    • View Profile
Winter chain gangs
« on: September 30, 2016, 12:11:27 PM »

Hi I thought I would post early so people can make plans / ask any questions.
Originally the (excellent) brainchild of David Crowley ; (last seen enjoying a run on Strava) the plan is to maintain fitness over the winter and then build into the new season after Christmas.
A few rules;
Average speed 20 mph (this is a group average; it may sound intimidating for a newbie but it is easily doable in a group).
Easy through the corners.
MUDGUARDS mandatory; a minimum would be a long swan type; ideally full. If I'm there I will make a fuss about this, my opinion is ride by all means but only at the back. I don't want my nice clothes to get dirty.
Lights; rear angled slightly down not up no flashers.
No times recorded. No sprint finish or last lap smash ups.
I hope to make as many as I can to organise; I feel groups of about 6 work best, I get very cold sat in a larger group. It is really important to maintain discipline, there should not be any dropped riders; this just means the numbers fall away as the weather gets worse.
I would suggest if you are super strong doing the Tuesday as a double day with a hard / long ride AM or riding a heavier winter bike or trying 28 + mm tyres. I like specialized armadillo to really make you work harder.
If I am there I will shout a lot (and get shouted at) to keep the order.
Any questions please post and we will try to address them.
I'll repost Tuesday to remind.

Andy H

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2111
    • View Profile
Re: Winter chain gangs
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 05:03:11 PM »
When are you planning on starting, Chris?
I've offered to help a newbies/beginners group, depending on when you start I'll try and arrange a Saturday afternoon session first.

xrayspecs

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 607
    • View Profile
Re: Winter chain gangs
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 09:34:41 AM »
This Tuesday (4th October). I can lead a novice group if needed.

Carrie H

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 67
    • View Profile
Re: Winter chain gangs
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 09:50:46 AM »
I'm keen to start as a novice / newbie / beginner . I have mudguards on  :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 09:52:33 AM by Carrie H »

Mark B

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 461
    • View Profile
Re: Winter chain gangs
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 09:25:54 PM »
Chris, conditions are forecast to be dry this week. I take it the mudguards rule won't be inforced when roads are dry. Can you'll let me know if the rule applies regardless and if so, I'll venture into my very dark & dank garage to retrieve them from wherever I put them last Spring. Cheers.

Nick Langley

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 200
    • View Profile
Re: Winter chain gangs
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 10:08:10 PM »
I'm happy to work in a novice group as I dived straight in with the full gas sessions halfway through the summer so have probably missed out on some great tips, but at the same time have picked up some great tips to pass on and can keep the chain going. I too won't be rocking mudguards as I haven't got the winter bike setup yet, will that be ok for this week?

Andy H

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2111
    • View Profile
Re: Winter chain gangs
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 10:26:04 PM »
Novice group will be aimed at 25ers and complete beginners to chain gang.

Please come along on Tuesday night for 7:00 start, we'll not worry too much about how many laps we do, just get some practice at sitting close to wheel in front, communication and changing over in the pace line.

I'll also arrange some practice/coaching sessions for Saturday afternoons,  to help hone technique, when we can see what we're doing.

xrayspecs

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 607
    • View Profile
Re: Winter chain gangs
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 07:44:58 PM »
I think we'll manage without mudguards this week...
Just trying to appear stern as it soon drifts when the weather turns wet.

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Winter chain gangs
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 09:35:55 PM »
Why would anyone put mudguards on when it's dry??? Never understood this seasonal thing with guards. They only useful when the ground is wet, whether that be the middle of July or the middle of January. I think group rides are unpleasant in the wet regardless...though x10 without guards!