Author Topic: Cycling in Barbados  (Read 3669 times)

Steven

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1493
    • View Profile
Cycling in Barbados
« on: January 17, 2016, 12:57:50 PM »
I've found myself in the unusual situation of being top of the Strava league table at some points this week. Needless to say, there's been no snow and ice ( daily temp never varies from 27 degrees). But cycling in Barbados does have it's challenges! I'd packed the De Rosa as we were planning to go to Florida, but the roads are a challenge! You can have a few miles of smooth Tarmac and then it deteriorates into something like a cyclo cross course! They sometimes fill the potholes with rubble or if it's too big, then an oil drum will act as a warning! The locals go out at 4 or 5 am. I had not thought about bringing lights so I've been out at first light instead. I can't quite see the point as you can't see the holes and its 22 degrees at night! A map is a must as road signs are a rarity.
However, there is lots of upside. No need to worry about what to wear, lots of local friendly cyclists and interesting terrain. The drivers don't go fast and are very considerate. Not only do all the cyclists greet you but all the locals wave and say hello as well!

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Cycling in Barbados
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 01:44:09 PM »
Do you feel safe/ secure cycling around? I presume, perhaps wrongly, that Barbados has a lot of poverty outside of the resorts. That doesn't in itself mean it should be dangerous...however I wouldn't spend any longer than I had to riding round llanrumney or the gurnos estate, for example.

harpo

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 624
    • View Profile
Re: Cycling in Barbados
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 05:04:04 PM »
That's a bit elitist rob!

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Cycling in Barbados
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 05:11:08 PM »
Very

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Cycling in Barbados
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 05:12:14 PM »
I couldn't think of where you live Haydn!  ;)

Steven

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1493
    • View Profile
Re: Cycling in Barbados
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 07:36:12 PM »
Hi Rob

There is a lot of poverty, but the Police are strict. It's got a low crime rate by Caribbean standards. Just ridden round the island and will post the ride later. Some of the climbs in the East Coast were as hard as anything I've ridden!