Author Topic: Amblers Club Run - Sunday 3 January  (Read 4038 times)

Mark Pope

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 675
    • View Profile
Amblers Club Run - Sunday 3 January
« on: January 02, 2016, 12:54:10 PM »
A wet and windy day tomorrow, so I propose a slightly shorter route than usual avoiding the waterlogged lanes. The route is:

Brackla - Coychurch - Pencoed - Ruth in - Llangan - Pentre Meyrick -A48 - Corn town - Ewenny - Dipping Bridge - A48 - Laleston roundabout - Cefn Cribwr - Kenfig Hill - Pyle - A48 Margam - Water Street - Kenfig - Porthcawl - 3 Steps Hill - Bridgend - Brackla.

It's around 40 miles with a coffee stop at the Broomwagon in Porthcawl. If the weather eases off I might finish off around the Coast and back via Death Valley to add a few more miles. See you at 0930

Mark

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers Club Run - Sunday 3 January
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 02:25:16 PM »
Avoiding the waterlogged lanes...Water Sreet!!!
Please do mention on report if it is under a foot of water Mark. Have a good and safe ride all.

P.S. I've no idea what that street is like after rain, just made me chuckle after your introduction.

Mark Pope

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 675
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers Club Run - Sunday 3 January
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 03:26:18 PM »
Ha ha yes, I'd missed the irony Rob. Actually, since the extensive roadworks 18 months ago Water Street is probably misnamed. I hope so as I haven't had a look in the last week. I have just driven around the Vale lanes though and only just got through a flooded stretch over a foot deep near Penmark. I did manage to stop four cyclists who were hammering towards the flood intending to ride straight through it thinking it was just surface water.

Tom

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1578
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers Club Run - Sunday 3 January
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 06:52:44 PM »
Good route for a wet day Mark.I'm hoping to get out tomorrow but may leave it till a bit later if it's as wet as the weatherman thinks it will be first thing!

Mark Pope

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 675
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers Club Run - Sunday 3 January
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 09:54:33 PM »
Hope to see you tomorrow Tom. Maybe catch up at the Broomwagon?

Tony M

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 251
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers Club Run - Sunday 3 January
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 10:09:30 PM »
Sorry cant make it tomorrow as gone down with a winter bug :-[

Tom

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1578
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers Club Run - Sunday 3 January
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 03:08:54 PM »
Sorry I didn't join you this morning Mark.I was all set to go but sat watching the rain which finally eased about 11 o clock when I went out for 2 1/2  mainly dry and latterly sunny hours.Hope you didn't get too drenched!

Mark Pope

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 675
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers Club Run - Sunday 3 January
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 04:04:23 PM »
I think you made the right decision today Tom. The four brave (mad) souls who set out on the Amblers' ride were drenched within 5 minutes of leaving Brackla. In fact we were so wet at one stage that when we had to carry our bikes through a foot of water on funnily enough Water Street it made no difference to our condition. However, despite the gloom and rain it was a surprisingly enjoyable ride taken at a steady pace. We stopped off at the Broomwagon in Porthcawl for tea and cake and had to change the route towards the end of the ride due to increasing flood waters near the Dipping Bridge, which had been dry 3 hours earlier. The distance today was 44 miles at an easy ambling pace of 15 mph average. Out today were:

Chris Reed
Craig
Andy's Dodgy Knees
Mark P

I'm away for the next two Sunday's so I'd be grateful if one of the old sweats could suggest a route. I'll be back out on the 24th of January. See you then