Author Topic: Club ride, French style!  (Read 2497 times)

Steven

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1493
    • View Profile
Club ride, French style!
« on: July 14, 2015, 12:30:42 PM »
Today, I went out with the local club (CAC66). I'd missed them on Sunday as I went to the wrong meeting point. ( who would have thought the town had two Mairies! ).  As is the custom, everybody had to greet everyone else by shaking hands or kissing. I was a bit apprehensive about this as kisses vary from one to five, depending on the Region ( there's actually an app for it!). We set off at sub Amblers pace which I did not think would be fast enough for me. In my improving French I asked how far (80 kilometres) and is there a cafe, to which they responded, " no but there's a col! " As soon as we hit the first hill they shot off like Mountain Goats. They also turned around each time to collect the slower ones, before descending the other side like Cancellara. I was just about holding my own but only a Brit would have a one bottle strategy in 33 degree heat! I persuaded them to wait whilst I refilled my bottle from a fountain in a Village square. We returned and then followed a long discussion about the ride and Froomes form in the first week of the Tour.  Today was  56 miles andI'll see them again on Sunday for an eighty miler- two bottles a must!