Author Topic: Amblers' Ride - Sunday 5 July  (Read 4617 times)

Mark Pope

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 675
    • View Profile
Amblers' Ride - Sunday 5 July
« on: July 03, 2015, 08:51:24 PM »
I've added a few slight tweaks to a fairly regular route for this Sunday's Amblers' ride. The proposed route is:

Brackla - Coychurch - Pencoed - the Common - Rhiwceiliog - Coed Cae Farm - Pen-Yr-Heol - Glynogwr - Blackmill - Llangeinor - Letty Brongu - CwmFelin- Maesteg - Bryn - Cwmafon - Taibach - Margam - Water St - Kenfig - Porthcawl - Nottage - South Cornelly - Pyle - Cefn Cribwr - Fountain - Sarn - Tondu - Bryncethin - Coity - Brackla.

It's around 50 miles and includes a couple of mildly cheeky hills. The road from the Common up past Rhiwceiliog takes us over Mynnedd y Gaer bringing us out between Gilfach Goch and Blackmill, and the Letty Brongu road takes across the valley from Llangeinor towards Maesteg but higher up than our more usual route via Shwt. 

The plan is to stop for coffee and cake at Sarn Nature Reserve towards the back end of the ride. See you Sunday :).

Mark

Mark Pope

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 675
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers' Ride - Sunday 5 July
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 03:00:36 PM »
Well that didn't go quite to plan! :o The first half of the ride went well with 15 riders leaving Brackla to head out for a 'lumpy' amble taking in a few of our regular and one or two less regular hills. For once the BBC Met forecast was spot on as we initially rode with clear skies, a light (ish) breeze and a comfortable temperature of around 18 degrees. The first challenge was the mountain road over Mynnedd -Y-Gaer. The Amblers' haven't ridden this little treat for a couple of years and no wonder! ;D. After a comfortable start the road rears up resembling the North Face of the Eiger and becomes a real handlebar chewing experience just before the top. I received a few interesting comments about my route selection as we neared the top, at least from those who could still talk. The politest comment was 'this is a brutal climb' just about summed it up, although it's a beautiful summit when you finally get there. Tony Mansell also asked me if I chose my routes from the 'Book of Bastard Routes', to which my answer would have been yes, if I had been able to speak.

On the positive side the mountain road made all the other hills on route seem easy, even if they came thick and fast. We then climbed over Glynogwr, Llangeinor, Bettws and the Bryn, all in pleasant riding conditions, before the heavens opened just before Taibach. Within 10 minutes the temperature had dropped by 10 degrees and we were hit with stair rod like rain. By this time the group were getting cold, wet and in one or two cases almost blind from the slashing rain, so it was decided to head straight home along the A48, missing out the leg through Porthcawl. From here on in it became a case of every man for himself as we mostly took the straightest route possible back home.

I decided to call in at Parc Slip Nature Reserve cafe for a morale boosting coffee and cake but sensibly most of the group rode straight home. Despite the poor weather for the second half of the ride, the first half was really enjoyable (Ok I was crying near the top of Mynnedd-Y-Gaer) but that aside the climbs and the views were fantastic.  We did lose one rider when climbing up Mynnedd-Y-Gaer but not only did we wait at the top, good old (well fit, young Mark Rosser) volunteered to ride back down and find our missing Ambler, before climbing back up the hill. Top man! So starting and mostly finishing today's ride were:

Mark Rosser
Haydn
Steve Chapman (climbing like Quintana)
Lee S
Paul Longthorn
Andrew Storrie
Chris Reed
Terry A
Tony M
Mal (Content)
Clayton
Neil Bartlett
Mark P
Wayne
Bugger - Forgot one!

Next week longer but flatter! ;D

Mark

mal jones

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 458
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers' Ride - Sunday 5 July
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 03:53:27 PM »
F****hell that was tough for an old git like me . Enjoyed the challenge of Mynydd y gear  but after sheltering for 20 mins in a bus stop near cwmavon  I was freezing so decided to push on to Margam where  I entered the Twelve Knights pub and saw a large sign latte, cappachino ,expresso etc  "can I have a large latte please"  no the machiine is broken !! by now i was  broken  so phoned the misses to pick me up as it was still hammering down . THANKS MARK !! see you next week with my rain jacket .

Mark Pope

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 675
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers' Ride - Sunday 5 July
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 03:59:55 PM »
Well done Mal. Until the weather turned you were riding really well. Don't worry about your rain jacket for next week, we're off to the Seaside and I've booked sunshine and blue skies!

Mark

Tony M

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 251
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers' Ride - Sunday 5 July
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 11:18:03 PM »
Apologies for the expletive Mark! 😊 it was actually good to go up that way as I hadn,t been that way before. After sheltering at the bus stop for a while we were all getting really cold so the general consensus was just go go go! Well we almost stayed together 😕 I think I managed a pb heading to Margam. ☺ Anyway good route all in all.

Greg B

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 470
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers' Ride - Sunday 5 July
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 09:22:17 AM »
Thanks Mark, enjoyed riding with the guys. I've posted my application form as I can't make the Friday meeting this week, then I'm away for 2 weeks. Cheers. Greg.

Mark Pope

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 675
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers' Ride - Sunday 5 July
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 05:34:49 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the ride Greg. You were riding well, particularly on the climbs. I'm sorry I missed you off the list. I think I mixed you up with Clayton. Nice to see you joining the Club too. I also missed Andy Samuels off the start list too. How could I forget the 'Doc'? 

Oh, don't worry Tony, I wasn't offended by you swearing near the top of Mynnedd -Y- Gaer, most of us were! All in all, I was glad that we got the hills out of the way before the downpour. I wouldn't have fancied some of those descents in the wet. Next week sunny, dry and flat (ish) ;D!

Mark