Author Topic: disc brakes  (Read 4372 times)

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
disc brakes
« on: June 23, 2015, 05:31:36 PM »
Looking into new winter bike (sold the boardman) and I think disc brakes are a no brainer..but for a cyclocross that's going to be used at least 80% on road do I need hydraulic ones or will mechanical still give me massive performance (braking) improvement over rim brakes?

Jason T

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 590
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Stuff
Re: disc brakes
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 05:45:29 PM »
I now run TRP HY-RD Cable Actuated Hydraulic Disc Brake Callipers on the Steel Winter Beast and they are exceptional;
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/trp-hy-rd-cable-actuated-hydraulic-disc-brake-caliper/

I also have full hydraulic on the Cannondale Synapse, they do feel and perform better than the above but there's not a great deal in it to be honest.

The TRP have been fantastic over the winter and more stopping power than you'll ever need, they'll also keep the cost down and allow you to purchase a bike or groupset at a lower price point and then upgrade to them (if you wanted).

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: disc brakes
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 10:12:30 PM »
Hi Jason - are you saying I could buy a bike with mechanical discs and then buy this thing from wiggle for <£100 and plug it in for Hydraulic like performance?

Jason T

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 590
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Stuff
Re: disc brakes
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 07:44:19 AM »
Yes, it is cable operated so you can roll with a cheaper groupset rather than a dedicated hydraulic one.

You would just remove the mechanical brake from the front fork/rear stay and pop on this unit, it really is a very good unit and many bikes now ship with these as part of the build.

Some info here;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvV7oSc1ldE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8T6cON6y_Y

IIRC the £100 is per unit, they are not sold in pairs, so that's nearly £200 for a set.

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: disc brakes
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 01:31:04 PM »
Thanks Jason, that's useful. Not sure anyone has answered the question but I guess not many have disc brakes and would need to have used both mechanical and hydraulic to have a view. I worry about that if hydraulic go wrong you have zero braking ability and presumably get covered in brake fluid! Mechanical suggests I could sort any problem out on the road.