My Community

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: Steven on January 25, 2014, 05:07:07 PM

Title: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Steven on January 25, 2014, 05:07:07 PM

How about us taking a few cars full of people up to the TDF for the weekend to watch the first two stages?  I have a cunning plan;

Friday 4th (late afternoon) - Drive up North and base yourself in the attractive market town of Yarm.  (I can say that as I used to live there!)
Saturday 5th- Watch the stage twice at Leyburn and Aysgarth ( or thereabouts ).
Sunday 6th - Watch the second stage in the Knaresborough area. Hop in the car and back down the A1. Back late afternoon.

It would be great to have a load of us in OVW kit at the roadside.

Anybody interested?
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Tom on January 25, 2014, 06:28:24 PM
Maybe-one of my daughters lives in Sheffield and I was just starting to wonder how far that would be from the route but your plan sounds good!
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Andy H on January 26, 2014, 12:17:19 AM
Might be able to join you, before heading to Northern France for the stages there.

Sounds like an excellent plan. Just need to work on the logistics
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: traine on January 27, 2014, 07:59:34 PM
Steve

Great idea. I plan to join you. More later.

Tim
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Steven on April 12, 2014, 03:11:37 PM

We discussed this again last night at the committee meeting.  It really is time to act and not miss out on the experience of a lifetime!  So post here if you are up for car sharing and maybe some cycling in North Yorkshire thrown in too...  Costs limited to 2 nights in a B&B and a share of the petrol costs.

In addition to those who have already expressed an interest, post here and we can start to involve you in our plans!
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Neil Bartlett on April 12, 2014, 08:57:07 PM
Please include me! don't want to miss Le Tour!
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Chris Reed on April 13, 2014, 02:05:39 PM
I'm in - can drive but don't have cycle carrier.
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Steven on April 14, 2014, 10:39:18 AM
Okay, so currently;

Steven, Mark N, Tim, Andy H (part), Neil B and Chris R.

Tom doing 'Toms Tours' based in Sheffield ( shades of Mallorca!!)

Any other expressions of interest? - no full commitment required just yet...
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Wayne E on April 15, 2014, 10:18:28 PM
Yes i,m interested on the  tour weekend..
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Steven on April 16, 2014, 09:43:04 PM

Thanks Wayne

Timings - Stage 1  Aysgarth 1358.  Stage 2 Knaresbrough 1158.  You could set off very early on the Saturday morning if you had to work on the Friday pm.  Looks like we may have at least 2 cars - is everyone okay to stay for Fri and Sat nights?
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: xrayspecs on April 17, 2014, 01:44:57 PM
I is also interested.
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Will J on April 18, 2014, 07:57:04 PM
Sounds great, would definitely like to come.
will there be any B&Bs free north of Chester?
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Steven on April 19, 2014, 08:15:12 AM
Hopefully, we are far enough away. I suggest we have a TDF planning meeting at next Friday's club night....
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Steven on April 25, 2014, 07:46:11 AM

Just a reminder - I plan to discuss the TDF weekend at the club tonight...
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Steven on April 26, 2014, 12:51:22 PM
We had a mini meeting last night at clubnight. I think the following have expressed an interest;

Steven Madeley, Mark Nott, Andy Harries ( Day 2?), Tim Raine, Neil Bartlett, Chris Reed, Wayne Evans, Chris Goodwin, Will Jones, Terry Anthony.  The plan would be access stage 1 by bike ( and see it twice) and see stage 2 by car early in the stage and be back late afternoon on Sunday.

I have checked Hotel and B&B availability in Yarm, Eaglescliffe and Stockton on Tees and it seems okay, without the Tour- inflated prices!  What you need to do now is;
- Decide on who is travelling together and post it here.
- Book somewhere for the nights of Friday 4th and Saturday 5th and post where you are staying.

Le Tour won't be returning for many years so don't miss out!
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: RichardB on April 27, 2014, 05:55:17 PM
Steve, I'm contemplating going up on the 4th just to watch the first stage. I'll be with my partner who does not cycle. Where would be best for me stay and will it be easy for me to get to the same vantage points as you but by car?
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Chris Reed on May 03, 2014, 08:38:56 PM
Alright guys here's where I am - I can get bars for my car but as mentioned no cycle carriers - so I need

3 people as passengers (plenty of room for kit)
4 Roof mounted bike carriers (assume they fit any bars? - also if one short I can just buy my own)

I am assuming you can fit 4 bikes on the roof of a focus estate
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: ceribu on May 09, 2014, 09:12:31 PM
I will be up there for the 1st two stages, booked out hotel while still cheap, staying in Bradford but not too far out of the action. Going with ma famile, can't wait. It will be great to see familiar faces up there!
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: RichardB on June 01, 2014, 03:07:08 PM
I'm now booked into a campsite in Hawes for the weekend. Will be on the climb of Buttertubs Pass for etape 1. Not sure of plans yet for stage 2.
And will also be catching the tour riding into Nimes on 20 July.
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Steve Chapman on June 20, 2014, 01:10:26 PM
I have now been given the green light, it's been a bit quite on this topic so is anyone still interested in going up. My wife needs the car so I'm looking for someone who can give me and my bike a lift. Is the plan still to stay in Yarm? places filling up fast now so looking to book over the next few days.

Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Steven on June 20, 2014, 06:48:37 PM
Steve,
I can give you a lift - may only stay for the Saturday stage though..
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Steve Chapman on June 21, 2014, 09:26:30 AM
Thanks Steven, just happy to see the race so one or two stages is fine. Is the plan still to travel up late Friday, stay Friday in Yarm, cycle on Saturday to watch the race? I'm happy to do whatever just let me know what i need to do.
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Steven on June 21, 2014, 11:58:50 AM
That's the plan - I'll PM you my mobile number..
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Steven on June 30, 2014, 08:44:01 AM
Just 5 days to go and still time to sort yourselves out!

Accomodation still available in Yarm...
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Andy H on June 30, 2014, 12:22:36 PM
Sorry, can't make the Grand Depart stages  :'( , following 3 stages in northern France is all I can manage!!  ;D
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Andy W on June 30, 2014, 02:14:17 PM
I will be trying to grab a spot up Buttertubs Pass. Anyone hitting that section?

Not sure i'm hanging around for Stage 2?
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: RichardB on July 01, 2014, 06:46:50 AM
See you on the climb Andy. I'm going to watch the finish in the spectator hub and then take the bike for a spin up the climb and loop back through Layburn and Aysgarth.

I will be trying to grab a spot up Buttertubs Pass. Anyone hitting that section?

Not sure i'm hanging around for Stage 2?
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Andy W on July 01, 2014, 11:22:16 AM
I'm going to watch the finish in the spectator hub



How much you paying for that? Gonna try get on the climbs before the race and then after..
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: RichardB on July 01, 2014, 07:23:56 PM
Pay? I think I need to do some more research!!
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !guthis mythi
Post by: Wayne E on July 02, 2014, 10:06:32 AM

Hoping to leave early Friday morning have room for one passenger and bike.Takingt van up .Anyone interestedcontact me on 07584420221.
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !guthis mythi
Post by: stevelandeg on July 02, 2014, 11:25:35 AM

Takingt van up .

Wayne lapsing into the local dialect already.
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Andy W on July 02, 2014, 11:42:02 AM
Pay? I think I need to do some more research!!



I was under the illusion that there was a charge for such luxuries?



Thinking of leaving my car in the dales and having a good days cycling. Grassington is a place i may 'set up'. It's only 6 miles from Kettlewell. Should be free parking on the Roads?
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !guthis mythi
Post by: Rob Jones on July 02, 2014, 10:19:20 PM

Takingt van up .

Wayne lapsing into the local dialect already.

 :D
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: ron b on July 05, 2014, 06:45:39 AM
Abercregan boy! but Cegan does have a current second in the Worlds cyclist. Answers on a postcard.
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Andy W on July 05, 2014, 08:20:24 AM
Up and getting ready. Travelling to Gargrave, then cycling up to buttertubs, along the route. Have fun !
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Steven on July 05, 2014, 10:02:29 PM

Well, what an amazing, amazing day!
Things did not start too well, as everyone seemed to be heading to Yorkshire, the journey up was slow and Steve nearly missed his B&B deadline.  It rained all night and was overcast this morning when Steve, Neil and I drove to near Bedale.  We then got the bikes out and did a circuitous route to Aysgarth.  Getting there just before the publicity caravan.  Cyclists from all over the UK were there and we saw Andy Wicks (!) who did not hear our calls...  The Tour came through with Jens Voight on a lone break.  Steve got some brilliant pictures, which we will email to Teresa.  When the Tour had passed there was a scramble to get across to Leyburn.  We got to the course and as the marshals had no idea who we were, blagged our way onto the course!  Imagine all those thousands of fans, many of whom are new to cycling faced with 3 riders in yellow! We were cheered and high fived by the crowd, even riding through towns with big screens and barriers down the road. It's the nearest we'll ever get to understanding what it feels like to ride the Tour roads.  We stopped again to see it a second time and then straight back on the bikes to follow the broom wagon to more adulation from the crowd!  We finally stopped at Masham , into the car and home. Superb.
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Neil Bartlett on July 06, 2014, 12:38:31 AM
Spent the journey home wondering did today actually happen! The tour caravan riders and support vehicles were amazing. Many thanks to both Steve's for a fantastic day in Yorkshire, to be relived many times over the next 3 weeks watching the tour on TV. Memories of Mr Madeley entertaining the crowds (twice) was one of the highlights, quite surreal!!
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: RichardB on July 06, 2014, 06:02:29 PM
Great weekend on the alternative OVW weekend too.
Me and Allison stayed in the beautiful market town of Hawes for the weekend camping at the Auction Mart site. We walked up from the town to the lower part of the climb of Buttertubs Pass to watch the race. Thousands on the climb and great atmosphere and Geraint Thomas was on the right side of the peloton as they passed for us to cheer him on.
Saw Wayne and Steve Morris on the climb, Wayne and Steve both on their bikes. I arranged to meet Wayne in the spectator hub to watch the end of the race - entry was free Andy W. Me and Wayne then rode the top loop of the stage 1 route. So from Hawes up Buttertups, down Swale Dale to Reeth, up the climb of Grinton Moor and down to Leyburn and then through Aysgarth back to Hawes. Absolutely stunning scenery, the Yorkshire Dales is great cycling country!
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Teresa on July 07, 2014, 09:29:10 PM
Photos and reports are on the website
On your bike - Trips away

More photos are in the 2014 Gallery (scroll to the bottom of the page)
Photos are a bit small - I will see if I can do anything about that.

Did anyone get a group photo of the Oggies at the tour ?
Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: traine on July 08, 2014, 10:25:50 AM
Richard

The route you rode with Wayne to Reeth over the Buttertubs is one I rode on my own when on holiday in Hawes about 8 years ago. I rode my bright green Peugeot bike with the old blue Oggie kit and a red helmet. I gained some roadside plaudits from a couple of Yorkshire lads as I passed down Swaledale ! It is a brilliant ride. The last leg up to Hawes in Wensleydale is as scenic as the pass over Buttertubs is awe-inspiring.

I rode that area a few times also when I was 17. a mere 51 years ago, so it holds a few memories for me as a Junior.

I watched the whole lot on telly but the roads could hardly be seen because of the immense crowds. Shame I could not be there, except in spirit ! I'm pleased you had a great experience.

Tim

Title: Re: Tour de France 2014 - OVW big weekend !
Post by: Andy W on July 08, 2014, 11:06:32 AM
Cyclists from all over the UK were there and we saw Andy Wicks (!) who did not hear our calls...



Steve, please excuse. I did have my ear phones in along the route!!

Yes, very pleasant on Saturday! Great to see everyone out supporting cycling. Would be great to see crowds like that at the Tour of Britain, local races etc!



Sunday, i decided to take my parents up to the end of Cragg vale. Had Mark Ellis's Father and brother cycle pass me. 'Ogmore valley?, you know Mark Ellis?'.. Funny how you always seem to bump into someone who has a connection with you!

A massive thumbs up though for Yorkshire (from a Lancashire lad)..

Would be great to see Le tour hit Wales. Would be Epic!