Author Topic: Amblers Ride 22nd June  (Read 5200 times)

Paul Longthorn

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 330
    • View Profile
Amblers Ride 22nd June
« on: June 21, 2014, 08:52:12 AM »
Sorry not out on Sunday. Who is going to post a route. Ride safe and enjoy.

Mark Pope

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 675
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers Ride 22nd June 0900 start option
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 05:49:22 PM »
I'm a bit strapped for time tomorrow so I'm planning to only do a 50 miler, starting from Brackla at 0900. If anyone fancies joining me I intend to do the following route:

Brackla - Ewenny - Ogmore - St Donats - Llantwit Major - St Athan - Flemingstown - LLantrithyd - Welsh St Donats - Miskin - Pontyclun - Talbot Green - Llantrisant Forest - Gilfach Goch - Blackmill - Garw Valley via Llangeinor - Bryncethin - Coity - Brackla.

The first half is a bit of a glory route but there's a couple of cheeky climbs in the second half. There's an option for a coffee stop at the Lakeside after Gilfach and anybody feeling rubber legged after the climbs has an option to peel left at Blackmill and take the short route back to Bridgend. Ave speed hopefully between 15-16mph and nobody will be left behind (unless I'm the only one there as everyone else is at the Gower  ;D).

Mark P

Terry A

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers Ride 22nd June
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 07:58:53 PM »
Hi Mark,

I will join you for this. I was thinking of doing the Gower ride but the forecast for tomorrow is even better than today and so I reckon I will dodge what I'm guessing will be very busy roads. I may set off at 8.00 and do the A48 to Pyle and then over and down to Aberkenfig and then on to Brackla - adds about 16 miles - if anyone is interested.

Tel.

Mark Pope

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 675
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers Ride 22nd June
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 08:56:52 PM »
Hi Terry, great see you tomorrow.

Andrew S

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers Ride 22nd June
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 09:02:54 PM »
I'll join you at 9

Mark Pope

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 675
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers Ride 22nd June
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 02:35:55 PM »
Great Amblers ride today in fantastic weather. There were 13 starters:

                                                        Wayne
                                                         Pete Phillips
                                                         Lee
                                                         Andy S
                                                         Terry A
                                                         Tony
                                                          Mark P
                                                          Steve
                                                          Lance
                                                          Roy 1
                                                          Roy 2
                                                          Marshall
                                                          Kev
We took the coast road around Ogmore and then headed to Llantwit via St Donats. We then rode around St Athan to Flemingstown and up to the A48, where Kev, Roy 1 and Pete left us. The remainder carried on to Welsh St Donats, Miskin and Talbot Green to climb through Llantrisant Forest. Andy S left us here cutting our numbers down to 9. After a quick coffee stop before Gilfach Goch we climbed up and over Goch before the cheeky little climb out of the valley towards Blackmill. At the Blackmill lights most of the group turned left for Bridgend whilst Steve (a mountain goat in another life) and I decided to nip over the Garw Valley via Llangeinor and back via Bryncethin. 50.1 miles for me at an average speed of 15.8mph.

There were quite a few newbies this week, although a number of them are gusting the Pacers group. A special mention for Kev too, who was back smiling (or grimacing) this week after getting left behind by the Amblers last week (our fault).   

Mark P (PS! Hopefully I've got all the first names right, the surnames were beyond my capacity to remember).

Terry A

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers Ride 22nd June
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 08:25:29 PM »
Enjoyable ride today Mark / all and a good route. My legs were feeling it a bit though by the time we got to Blackmill and I was quite happy to turn left for home at that point.