Author Topic: Turbo Trainer Advice  (Read 7813 times)

Nick Langley

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 200
    • View Profile
Turbo Trainer Advice
« on: September 19, 2016, 09:18:02 PM »
I've currently got an Elite Mag Speed turbo and having just set it all back up it appears last winters hammering on a budget turbo has taken its toll, still just about works but I think it's time for a change. I don't want to spend a fortune but would like an upgrade. Has anyone got any tips or advice on what to look for, what to avoid, current deals etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: Turbo Trainer Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 10:12:08 PM »
Aluminium rollers ftw

Reece0

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 230
    • View Profile
Re: Turbo Trainer Advice
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 10:31:19 PM »
I bought a cyclops fluid 2 last year which I have been happy with. The only downside is that you can't really do low cadence (sub 60) sessions as the loading is speed dependant and you will run out of gears because you need the wheel spinning at around 20mph plus for an estimated 200watts. You are welcome to have a loan to see what it's like.

The prices seem to jump up if you want a smart trainer.

harpo

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 624
    • View Profile
Re: Turbo Trainer Advice
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 09:57:34 PM »
nick, I'm thinking of selling my elite turbo muin, it's direct drive, year old £200

Tom

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1578
    • View Profile
Re: Turbo Trainer Advice
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 11:01:36 PM »
It's done about 50,000 miles in that year mind

Nick Langley

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 200
    • View Profile
Re: Turbo Trainer Advice
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 08:20:21 PM »
Thanks guys, still weighing up my options (and bank balance). Just trying to work out what I want from it and whether to fork out extra for a smart trainer, go with something like the cycleops one or take up Harpo's offer with a direct drive. There's so many!!!!

traine

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 254
    • View Profile
Re: Turbo Trainer Advice
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 09:16:14 AM »
Rollers Nick