Author Topic: Ambler's Club Run - Sunday 30th November  (Read 4585 times)

Mark Pope

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 675
    • View Profile
Ambler's Club Run - Sunday 30th November
« on: November 28, 2014, 01:28:01 PM »
The proposed route for Sunday is:

Brackla-Ewenny-Ogmore-St Brides-Monknash-St Donats-Llantwit Major-Boverton-St Athan-Flemingstown-Llantrithyd-Bonvilston via A48-Pendoylan-Clawdd Coch-Hensol-Llanerch Vineyard-Miskin-Talbot Green-Llantrisant Forest-Thomastown-Gilfach Goch-Blackmill-Bryncethin-Coity via the Common-Brackla.

Total distance = 48 miles. 

For those who haven't ridden the Pendoylan road for a while it's now been re-surfaced and passing places have been widened. A coffee stop is possible in Blackmill or at the burger van after Llantrisant Forest. Places to re-group are St Brides, Llantwit Major, after the St Athans Hangar Sprint, Llantrithyd, Llantrisant Forest,Gilfach and Blackmill. The weather forecast is cold and dry with light winds, so pretty good for December. See you Sunday.

Mark 

ron b

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1253
    • View Profile
Re: Ambler's Club Run - Sunday 30th November
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 04:43:46 PM »
In the past the club has avoided the road between Blackmill and Bryncethin, very dangerous, easier to go over "Little Bwlch" and awfully nice tea at Bryngarw to boot.

Tom

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1578
    • View Profile
Re: Ambler's Club Run - Sunday 30th November
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 08:40:16 AM »
I hesitate to interfere but (amazingly)I agree with Ron-I never ride that road-the Little Bwllch he's talking about is Llangeinor-it's easy to avoid that stretch but leave it up to our Leader to decide!

Mark Pope

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 675
    • View Profile
Re: Ambler's Club Run - Sunday 30th November
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 01:32:55 PM »
Happy to take advice concerning the route, although a little surprised as I've ridden the road from Blackmill to Bryncethin loads of times on previous club runs. The last time I planned a similar route, which included the climb over Llangeinor, 8 out of 10 riders voted with their feet (or wheels) and turned smartly left at Blackmill and took their chance on the 'Road of Certain Death' rather than suffer the climb up to Llangeinor after having wheezed over Llantrisant Forest, Gilfach Goch and the cheeky little hill up to Glynogwr. I'm content to ride over Llangeinor but I suspect democracy might be invoked at Blackmill and a number of Amblers will wheel left anyway. The forecast is pretty good so I'm sure we'll have a good morning in the saddle whether we turn right or left. See you tomorrow. :)

Mark   

Mark Pope

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 675
    • View Profile
Re: Ambler's Club Run - Sunday 30th November
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 03:35:17 PM »
A nice ride in lovely weather. Seven Amblers' started today and we were joined on route by Roy 2 and Lance (bravely riding his single speed). Ambling around the Vale were:

Wayne
Terry
Tom
Carrie
Roy 2
Lance
Andy Storrie
Andy Samuels
Mark P
Mystery Guest (on a lovely new De Rosa)

A pleasant warm up around the Vale before the climbs through Llantrisant Forest, Gilfach Goch and Glynogwr. Some super strong turns on the front by Wayne helped on the climbs. A total distance today of 47 miles and 885 metres of climbing. A good day out.

See you next week

Mark 

Tom

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1578
    • View Profile
Re: Ambler's Club Run - Sunday 30th November
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 04:05:20 PM »
Thanks Mark-a good route and a lovely day.My apologies to you and the others for being so slow.In fact I felt so grotty when I got back I've been researching why and there seem to be 3 reasons
1-I gave blood on Friday p.m. and apparently performance can be 10% reduced especially in the first day or 2(If you take 10% away from mediocre you get abysmal)
2-I didn't carry a drink-I lost nearly 3 k on the ride so think I was a bit de-hydrated-I'll re-think that strategy
3-The biggest factor by far-I'm old and decrepit

Mark Pope

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 675
    • View Profile
Re: Ambler's Club Run - Sunday 30th November
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 07:38:31 PM »
You're too hard on yourself Tom. You gave blood yesterday and you're riding a Winter Bike that weighs more than my Skoda Octavia, so it's no wonder that you were struggling today. Just think how strong you'll be in Majorca when you're riding your featherlight Summer Bike! See you next week.

Mark