Author Topic: Amblers ride Sunday 30th April  (Read 5037 times)

Ben

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 778
    • View Profile
Amblers ride Sunday 30th April
« on: April 27, 2017, 07:38:40 AM »
I will be at Physiques on Sunday morning. I'll have a look for a nice route. Weather looks like it might be chilly.

Ben

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 778
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride Sunday 30th April
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 12:11:19 PM »
Here's a route. I know Ron always liked the element of suprise but I don't know the names of the places we're going :)

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/15019794

Tom

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1578
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride Sunday 30th April
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 10:06:53 PM »
That looks a good Amblers route Ben,but as my guru Harpo has said elsewhere the forecast isn't great.I'm hoping to get a few hours in but I shrink if I get wet

Ben

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 778
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride Sunday 30th April
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 07:15:46 AM »
I noticed the weather too so it might be slightly shorter

Ben

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 778
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride Sunday 30th April
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 03:19:19 PM »
6 of us left Physiques with the Amblers this morning. Myself, Tom, Ron, Nostraps Mike, Paul E (on his third ride with us - so I haven't scared him off with hills) and Graham on his first ride with us. We went over Coity Common towards Llanharan, then Miskin and over to the A48 where we joined the Tuesday ride. Up to Flemingston round St Athan. Where we had a puncture from Graham. That sorted we stopped at Cafe Velo for coffee and snacks. There we went to St Brides where I tootled off to Southerndown and Ignore andvthe others went through Death Valley. Stupidly (or is it sadistically) I decided to try Norton hill. After 50 miles that wasn't a good idea. Green it was home in an wandery route to Llantwit. Just over 60 miles for me. To break the 100 miles for the week. I averaged 16.5mph too so I'm pleased.

Tom

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1578
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride Sunday 30th April
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 03:32:29 PM »
Yes thanks Ben,nice route and pace this morning.Well done Graham,maintaing the tradition of new riders puncturing on their first ride with us!I thought Harpo was joking when he said they were riding straight to the café and back but as they were long gone when we got there it was obviously true!

Ben

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 778
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride Sunday 30th April
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 04:02:13 PM »
You helped with the route too Tom. I'd have gotten lost otherwise. Ask Mike and Carl last week lol.

Paul E

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride Sunday 30th April
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 04:28:19 PM »
Thanks all, that was a good ride today, really enjoyed it. Need to work on my stamina and hill climbing plus a more comfortable saddle :o

Ben

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 778
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride Sunday 30th April
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 04:34:52 PM »
You'll get there Paul. There'll be a few more hills soon ;-)

gray1099

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride Sunday 30th April
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 08:58:51 PM »
Thanks again for today guys. Really enjoyed it. Looking forward to progressing in the sport. I heard Paul talking about a cycle in Cardiff sometime next weekend. Anyone know anything about it? Cheers

Ben

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 778
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride Sunday 30th April
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 09:40:55 PM »
It's the Evans ride. They ride the same route as the short Velothon route from the first year. Along to Newport then up to Caerphilly. It's a really nice route but Caerphilly mountain is a *$!@%£$ of a hill :-)

gray1099

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride Sunday 30th April
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 09:58:42 PM »
Who's all going to that then? Sounds good to me 😎

Ben

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 778
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride Sunday 30th April
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 10:43:33 PM »
I'm not this time. But if you're up for big hills we can sort something next weekend. Weather dependant. Smilog and Bwlch. Maybe even the club hill climb at Llangeinor.

Paul E

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride Sunday 30th April
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 11:01:18 AM »
Have a look at the Evans Cycles "Ride It" web site. It's £10 to enter but they'll give you a £5 in store voucher. There's a route map on the web page for the ride. It starts from the store in Cardiff with registration at 8:30ish