Author Topic: Our greatest cyclist  (Read 3815 times)

Tom

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1578
    • View Profile
Our greatest cyclist
« on: January 11, 2017, 02:02:34 PM »
Maxine Peak's tribute to our greatest ever cyclist was repeated the other day and is on the I-player for the next few weekshttp://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p0fpl?ns_mchannel=email&ns_source=inxmail_newsletter&ns_campaign=bbcradiodrama_radio__&ns_linkname=na&ns_fee=0

Tom

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1578
    • View Profile
Re: Our greatest cyclist
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 03:54:59 PM »
Having just listened to the play again I feel I was a little precipitate in describing her as our greatest ever cyclist and would like to amend that to our greatest ever sportsperson

Teresa

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 924
    • View Profile
Re: Our greatest cyclist
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 06:22:15 PM »
Thanks for that, Tom

Really enjoyed listening.  She certainly was an amazing lady.  Unbelievable that her 12 hour record still stands today from 1967.

Steven

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1493
    • View Profile
Re: Our greatest cyclist
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 11:59:35 PM »
I listened too last week. An amazing story. I was lucky enough to race against her in a 25 in her later years. She was still full of encouragement for me as I passed her. Truly humbling.

Steven

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1493
    • View Profile
Re: Our greatest cyclist
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 09:25:50 PM »
Hey Tom,

I've put a link to a documentary about Beryl Burton on my Facebook page..

Tom

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1578
    • View Profile
Re: Our greatest cyclist
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 10:02:02 PM »
Thanks Steve-I'll check that out!