Author Topic: Team Swift '10'- when you are out of luck....  (Read 4635 times)

Steven

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1493
    • View Profile
Team Swift '10'- when you are out of luck....
« on: August 29, 2016, 09:27:28 PM »
So finally I get to ride on the super - fast V718.  I'd pinpointed this event as in addition to the normal one it had a 'slower than 22.00 LTS event as well.  With a 22:12  I knew I'd get a ride.  Got there in good time and drove around the course (although I had already ridden it in my head via Google streetview!).  Did my usual prep and warm up and got to the start.  The course is 4.5 miles out and 5.5 miles back.  There was some wind swirling but not too much.  I set off and it felt good and smooth, after a couple of miles, it felt a little easy so I looked down to see I was doing 28.5mph! 

Then the trouble started, firstly the road noise changes and then the back end is a little less responsive.  A small bounce on the saddle and my worst fears were confirmed - a slow puncture. This happened at 3 miles and I eased off to the turn by which time it was completely flat.  My repair cannister failed ( not buying one of those again!) and I was facing a 7 mile walk back to HQ in my socks down a busy dual carriageway.  I decided to take the initiative when I saw a van with  two mountain bikes on the back pulling out. I virtually hi-jacked it and thankfully they agreed to give me a lift. We set off with my lo pro tied to the mountain bikes and me in the back of a van behind a grille, sitting on top of their dirty camping equipment! They kindly took me back the HQ and later I returned the favour when I saw someone else walking when I was driving back ( thankfully, his puncture came after the finish).  Desperately disappointed as the Mens Competition record was equalled and the Women's was broken in the same event - there's always next year !

Toestrapsteve

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 200
    • View Profile
Re: Team Swift '10'- when you are out of luck....
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 09:37:27 PM »
Ouch!  Long ride home Steve

Andy H

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2111
    • View Profile
Re: Team Swift '10'- when you are out of luck....
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 07:08:57 AM »
Gutted!

NeilRhys

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 110
    • View Profile
Re: Team Swift '10'- when you are out of luck....
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 09:03:54 AM »
So sorry to hear about this :-( Good skills on the hitch hiking though :-)

Greg B

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 470
    • View Profile
Re: Team Swift '10'- when you are out of luck....
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 04:44:45 PM »
gutting  :(