Author Topic: British National Road Race  (Read 24513 times)

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: British National Road Race
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2014, 09:31:18 PM »
Sorry I didn't join you nationals club run lot. Combination of rain in night plus tired legs made me think I could do without all those steep climbs and descents that were mostly on the lanes...especially as I didn't plan to watch the race over that way anyway. Looks like you had a tough day in the saddle, though I guess watching the race would have broken it up a bit.

Davey C

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 208
    • View Profile
Re: British National Road Race
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2014, 10:06:09 PM »
Thomas dropped his chain on the celtic manor climb apparently. It was always going to be a Sky carve up, I admire you optimism about a non world tour rider though! Think those days are over however, the UK national champs have gone to another level with all of the real pros we have now.

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: British National Road Race
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2014, 10:25:04 PM »
I see - he was reeling them back in at one point but was always gonna pay for the effort.

Hard to say whether the race is better or worse for sky's presence.

Davey C

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 208
    • View Profile
Re: British National Road Race
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2014, 10:52:50 PM »
I like that we finally have a 'proper' champs, I dislike that sky vastly outnumber the other teams though. Imagine if just one or two of the Sky riders ride for a different team...far more interesting.

wardhaugh

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
Re: British National Road Race
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2014, 11:27:55 PM »
Good fun today. Finally Sussed a good route to the Usk Valley that bypasses Newport. Lucky with the weather too. Some typically strong climbing from Paul today, and Jason flying up the hills now.  And of course, surely the poshest coffee stop in the club's history. A highlight had to be Richard being served those cow sandwiches that Desperate Dan wouldn't have complained about at Llangybi. Thanks for the company guys - let's hope the Nationals back again soon.

My each way bet would have paid out ;). Didn't pick Ed Lavarack for the U23, but good it was a Welsh rider.