Author Topic: Amblers ride 21 April  (Read 12754 times)

ron b

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1253
    • View Profile
Amblers ride 21 April
« on: April 16, 2019, 10:10:59 AM »
I will only be available till 11 o’clock this Sunday, so can someone please post a suitable ride. I hope to be at Physiques wearing my helmet ⛑

ron b

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1253
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride 21 April
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 09:42:03 AM »
Anyone available to take the Amblers?

Nick H

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 96
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride 21 April
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 05:15:57 PM »
Carrie and I will probably be there. Given it'll be a sunny Easter Sunday, I'd prefer to avoid seaside roads (and numpty drivers) and would suggest a gentle tour of the lanes in the Vale. We've just discovered a few "new" ones so could do an embellished version of one of the mid-week rides. I could post a suggested route unless someone else has a preferred option.

Ben

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 778
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride 21 April
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 05:20:22 PM »
I'd prefer to ride up every bit of vertical ascent I can find in a 200 mile radius. But I'm not allowed out to play just yet.  ;D ;D ;D

Nick R

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 40
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride 21 April
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 09:13:19 AM »
That sounds good Nick.

Ade

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 52
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride 21 April
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 01:45:09 PM »
I'll need to be home by midday so probably won't stay the distance.

Nick H

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 96
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride 21 April
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 04:05:05 PM »
A suggested route - nothing too taxing, mainly quiet lanes. No definite coffee stop planned, but depending on who's out/how everyone is doing, options for deviations at 30k (Bonvilston?), 35k (Cowbridge?), 40k (Llantwit?), 45k (Cowbridge?).

https://www.strava.com/routes/18273969



Nick H

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 96
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride 21 April
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 02:36:07 PM »
On the hottest day of the year so far, 7 Amblers set off for a scenic tour of the back lanes of the Vale. The plan was to avoid the Easter Sunday traffic, and in that regard we succeeded. Ron, Nick R, Hannah, Ade, Geoff, Carrie H and I headed out via Coychurch and Pencoed (somehow avoiding punctures from the multiple areas of broken glass there) as far as Bryncae before hitting the lanes towards Llanharry. A zig-zag route via Hensol forest and a few sleepy villages on the way, we arrived at the A48. Ron had a prior commitment and had turned off as we approached Watery Lane.

Thoughts were now turning to coffee for some, and the remaining posse opted for Cowbridge, but managed a few more miles of lanes first before negotiating through Llandough. The road surfaces until then had been fairly good (for the Vale that is), but this section is currently more hole than tarmac, although with generous circles of yellow paint to help guide the unwary...

Ade was on limited time so continued on at Cowbridge, but the rest of us stopped for coffee at Caffe Nero (and a generous bowl of whipped cream with chocolate cake for Hannah). As we departed Geoff peeled off back to Llantwit, and the remaining 4 broke up to head home just after City.

Not the longest route for an Amblers' ride but a few short climbs that I'm sure Ben would have enjoyed (maybe best wait a few more weeks for some of them Ben).

Nick R

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 40
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride 21 April
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 03:14:38 PM »
Great ride and traffic free, thanks all.

Ade

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 52
    • View Profile
Re: Amblers ride 21 April
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 05:08:15 PM »
Thanks for planning the route Nick. Just the kind of punchy ride I like. I threw in Penllyn hill just for the hell of it. Carten next week, hopefully see you guys at some point.