Author Topic: noisy BB  (Read 8661 times)

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
noisy BB
« on: October 06, 2013, 06:47:25 PM »
Sounding rough (noisy) but bearings changed only a month ago (by bike shop). Was full of filthy water and slime when I took cranks off to have a look. I cleaned it out but still sounding rough. Its firm though (no slack in cranks) so should I just chuck a load of grease in, or take it back to bike shop?

xrayspecs

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 607
    • View Profile
Re: noisy BB
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 07:45:37 PM »
Sounds like a good excuse for a new bike.

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: noisy BB
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 07:50:59 PM »
 :D

Andy H

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2111
    • View Profile
Re: noisy BB
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 11:07:06 AM »
Back to the shop every time!

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: noisy BB
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 09:12:41 PM »
Back to bike shop as per Andy H's advice...bearings shot after <3 months - perfectly normal I am told (if you use the hose on your bike!!). Tried to point out that I use the hose at low pressure with great precision and care...

Not impressed but years of good experience with the shop in question make me accept that maybe I got unlucky and got water in the wrong place. Anyway I won't be using anything other than sponge and water to wash that part of the bike again! Ironically it was such a good summer I can't have used the hose more than once. I've never know BB bearing last me less than a year before including on my winter bikes where they do probably take a bit of hammering from the weather.

Andy H

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2111
    • View Profile
Re: noisy BB
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 10:19:04 PM »
Ironically I had same problem on Sunday and have just ordered a new bottom bracket.

If it doesn't arrive by the weekend you can compare how noisy it!  :-[

ron b

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1253
    • View Profile
Re: noisy BB
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 08:35:43 AM »
We seem to have had this discussion before, if you spray a "degreasing" agent such as "Muckoff" on your bike it will remove the grease or damage all the lubricated part it touches. Most cyclists would not regrease after using such an aggressive agent because of the difficulty,especially headsets and bottom brackets. Water and salt in the winter will then do the damage, failure of the moving part will follow. Chains require a deep clean more regularly at this time of year but are more easily lubricated afterwards. There is always lots of maintenance advice on Youtube. as for washing the bike, just use a mild detergent.

xrayspecs

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 607
    • View Profile
Re: noisy BB
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 09:50:39 AM »
I remember you told me this when I first joined Ron, I wash my bikes a lot less than I used to now.

Rob Jones

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 961
    • View Profile
Re: noisy BB
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 10:10:57 AM »
yes lesson learned...though didn't even require winters water and salt in my case!