My Community

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: Andy S on June 13, 2015, 01:35:27 PM

Title: The Velothon
Post by: Andy S on June 13, 2015, 01:35:27 PM
Team Velothon OVW
Any plans to meet up before going into the starting pen?

Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Rob Jones on June 13, 2015, 01:45:19 PM
And also, is anyone planning on ghost riding?
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: harpo on June 13, 2015, 08:25:53 PM
Outside entrance to pen d2 I suppose
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: RichardB on June 13, 2015, 08:44:36 PM
Outside entrance to pen d2 I suppose
Yes pen open from 8-20 to 8-50, I was planning on getting there 8-30 ish.
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Jason T on June 13, 2015, 08:51:17 PM
Just to note there are 21 Waves, so there will be approx 715 people per wave/pen.

That's a lot of people.
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Rob Jones on June 13, 2015, 09:14:15 PM
Wow, big waves, choppy roads. Bet you there is plenty of space on the right hand side of the road though, if you can mentally cope with riding on it!
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Andy S on June 13, 2015, 09:18:47 PM
I agree Jason,that was what I was thinking but not clearly expressing in my initial post.
May be difficult to find other Oggies amongst 700+ riders
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: RoyH on June 13, 2015, 09:48:24 PM
As Hayden suggested if we wait outside the pen we should find each other.
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Jason T on June 14, 2015, 05:32:38 AM
Wow, big waves, choppy roads. Bet you there is plenty of space on the right hand side of the road though, if you can mentally cope with riding on it!

My thoughts are just to get to Lamby Way, might be messy with that many people and then try to stick to the right hand side as I would think most people's natural thought process is stick to the left.

Are you going to join in along the way Rob?
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Rob Jones on June 14, 2015, 06:45:32 AM
Yes Jason, I'll be in Ogmore kit but probably join the ride after wentloog in case the traveller sites do something idiotic. Hopefully see some of you at some point.
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: harpo on June 14, 2015, 06:03:02 PM
Official times please, I will start ball rolling, 4hrs 16mins for me :D(we all had tack stops) 32.7km/hr
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Andy S on June 14, 2015, 06:24:13 PM
4hrs 43mins
Ave speed 5,000mph(felt like it anyway)
I was flying off the Tumble
What a blast
Loved it
Well done OVW
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Steve Chapman on June 14, 2015, 06:40:01 PM
Harpo - you crack me up lol, like you haven't already looked :)

4hrs 24min for me and very enjoyable experience

Everyone had a great ride today by the look of it, Well Done All
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Jsaunders on June 14, 2015, 07:01:25 PM
4hrs 29mins for me loved it.
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: harpo on June 14, 2015, 07:15:39 PM
Official time not strava time! Ive all ready checked
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Andy S on June 14, 2015, 07:30:48 PM
Big Brother is watching you!
Has Harpo joined the Timing Police?
Was he a secret service agent in a previous life?
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Jsaunders on June 14, 2015, 07:36:41 PM
I only go to strava haven't checked official times didn't know they were out yet.but well stoked with just finishing today. ;D
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Rob Jones on June 14, 2015, 07:48:27 PM
3 hrs 43 mins. Officially for not the full distance (from rumney bridge turning to the city centre side of the lake). Didn't realise how much fun closed roads would be! And not a single car breached the traffic cone closures that I saw. And I heard/ saw nothing but enthusiastic support for the ride from the side of the road too (didn't see the tacks mind)!
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Jsaunders on June 14, 2015, 08:02:05 PM
Anybody else get stopped on thorn hill and anybody know why they stopped us for so long.
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Toestrapsteve on June 14, 2015, 08:04:32 PM
Off earlier than rest of OVW gang (08:25) I managed 4:21 despite landing on the middle of Tack-gate (a full 5min walk carrying bikes) in the middle of the Usk valley too - who'd have thought there? I suspect the garden centre mind - race killed their best days trading and a feed station right outside denying any chance the coffee shop had of a few knackered cyclists dropping-in - might go and check - if their notice board is empty - bingo!
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Rob Jones on June 14, 2015, 08:11:44 PM
I think the garden centre are more peeved with the welsh government than cyclists. Probably just some random retired grumpy git that reads the daily mail! I don't understand how Jason punctured with tubeless tyres...thought they healed themselves!
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Terry A on June 14, 2015, 08:28:12 PM
Love Steve's comment - and yes, we all agree Harpo will have already checked, noted and ratified all OVW times.

So, official 'chip time' of 4hrs 31mins for me with around 10 mins held up at tack-gate.

Anyway, great event today and kudos to all who did it. 
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Steve Chapman on June 14, 2015, 08:40:03 PM
Few photos taken today at the start and finish, any good ones can you please email them to me so i can put on my just giving page. Thanks chappie7@hotmail.co.uk
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Jason T on June 15, 2015, 08:04:01 AM
4:30:38 for me, think I lost time before going solo at the tack point ~ Also tacks before the tumble, not sure if anyone was caught out by those?

Position: 684th for me.

Good work by the group looking on Strava.

Must say that I found certain parts really dangerous, nearly brought down on mass in Newport (you can see how easily and quickly it happens in the Pro Pelotons) but it was all due to pretty bad riding by others around pinch points.
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Andy S on June 15, 2015, 10:09:43 AM
My Garmin gave 1406m climbing,can this be correct,the official stats give 1826m??
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Steve Chapman on June 15, 2015, 11:11:52 AM
Even Harpo had to show good bike handling skills when a rider went through a gap that wasn't there :) ;)
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Rob Jones on June 15, 2015, 12:54:19 PM
In contrast I saw no poor riding, some impressive descending (ironically past the remains of a rider that presumably did ride poorly) and I was at no point short of road space.
 
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Jason T on June 15, 2015, 03:48:09 PM
Not sure if this link will work;

(https://scontent-cdg2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/11110138_1605036856433568_6088090201675602936_n.jpg?oh=71fda977ac3207076a8379ecb34cc78d&oe=562D5736)
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Rob Jones on June 15, 2015, 05:53:40 PM
Plenty of road space there.
 I'm think Richard Beech was riding with me at that point but I can't make him out
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: harpo on June 15, 2015, 06:01:41 PM
Terry came 6th in his age group, great achievement !
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Jason T on June 15, 2015, 06:08:13 PM
Jesus Wept ~ Poor Bloke;

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/velothon-wales-cyclist-suffers-horrific-9453814

EDIT: Well Done Terry
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Teresa on June 15, 2015, 06:32:52 PM
Ouch - Poor chap

When it says the image is graphic - they mean it  :o
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Rob Jones on June 15, 2015, 06:59:41 PM
That's proper gross. I can't believe a tack could cause that sort of damage. I reckon he works for an adhesive company and staged this to get some bad press for tacks!
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Rob Jones on June 15, 2015, 08:39:52 PM
Velothon highlights on s4c 10pm tonight, mostly of the race I think.
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Teresa on June 16, 2015, 07:11:08 PM
A couple of pictures, courtesy of Terry A - thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Terry A on June 17, 2015, 08:09:35 AM
Would guess those who took part have been checking ... but just in case you don't know the official rider pics & finishing line video are now available on marathon-photos.com
https://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/home.py?event=Sports/CPUK/2015/Velothon%20Wales
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: neilburns on June 17, 2015, 04:12:43 PM
4 hrs 31 here too official time, really enjoyed it, closed streets really added to the experience, last 4k was mental quick and hairy at times
Title: Re: The Velothon
Post by: Terry A on June 29, 2015, 10:27:14 PM
Not sure if folk have seen the team results from the Velothon, but these are now posted and team OVW finished 30th out of 316 ... which seems not at all bad to me.