My Community

General Category => Club Runs => Topic started by: Jsaunders on June 06, 2015, 12:09:50 PM

Title: Amblers 7th June ride
Post by: Jsaunders on June 06, 2015, 12:09:50 PM
Been asked a question is there a route planned for the Amblers tomorrow as nothing has been posted.
Title: Re: Amblers 7th June ride
Post by: Ben_North on June 06, 2015, 12:23:37 PM
Sounds good to me. Any ideas for a route??
Title: Re: Amblers 7th June ride
Post by: Mark Pope on June 06, 2015, 01:19:15 PM
Hi all,
 
Yes a route will be posted later today. I'm currently looking at a couple of routes of around 60 miles. I'm working at the moment but should have time to post my proposed option by about 4pm.

Mark
Title: Re: Amblers 7th June ride
Post by: Jsaunders on June 06, 2015, 01:37:07 PM
Sounds good mark see you tomorrow,
Title: Re: Amblers 7th June ride
Post by: Lee S on June 06, 2015, 02:00:09 PM
Hi Mark,

Just a suggestion as the Dragon Ride is taking place tomorrow maybe head in the opposite direction and ride a route that involves Power Station Hill, Duffryn Gardens, St Fagans, etc and yes definitely around 60 miles. I don't mind and I'll go with the flow.

Lee S
Title: Re: Amblers 7th June ride
Post by: Mark Pope on June 06, 2015, 02:10:55 PM
It's forecast to be blue skies and sunshine tomorrow, so I thought I'd propose the following tourist route:

Brackla - Ewenny - Across the ridge - Llandow - Cowbridge - Aberthin - Welsh St Donuts - St Brides Super Ely - St Fagans - Wenvoe - St Andrews St Major - Dinas Powis - Penarth - Cardiff Bay - Alpe De Penarth - Hidden lane - St Andrews Major - Barry top road - Rhoose - St Athan - Llantwit Major - the Lanes - Southerndown - Ogmore - Brackla.

The distance is around 60 miles, with a coffee planned for either the Bay (bring your credit card), Penarth Pier (join the queue) or Cosmeston Lakes (bring your Budgie Smugglers). Even with a relaxed coffee stop this should take no more than 4hrs 30 mins (mechanicals permitting). It's a flat (ish) route with just a couple of mildly cheeky lumps.

Depart Brackla at 9am.

Mark 8)

Title: Re: Amblers 7th June ride
Post by: Mark Pope on June 06, 2015, 02:12:24 PM
Hi Lee,

We posted at almost the same time and great minds obviously think alike (mostly)!  ;D

Mark
Title: Re: Amblers 7th June ride
Post by: Lee S on June 06, 2015, 04:17:49 PM
Hi Mark,

Yes great minds think alike! Great route, I look forward to it. See you in the morning.

Lee S
Title: Re: Amblers 7th June ride
Post by: Tom on June 06, 2015, 07:01:28 PM
Hi Mark-as you may have seen I have been planning to go out and look at the Dragon ride but from the other side of the road-ride route backwards-if it is as windy as today I may stay low and join you although I may struggle to be there at 9 and look for you at the Welsh St Donats turn but don't worry if you don't see me as it depends on what the morning brings.I really want to see if Hidden Lane 'is the one I think it is!
Title: Re: Amblers 7th June ride
Post by: peter phillips on June 07, 2015, 08:14:39 AM
Tom I had a look for it but couldn't find it ....
Title: Re: Amblers 7th June ride
Post by: Tom on June 07, 2015, 08:22:47 AM
It must be well hidden!
Title: Re: Amblers 7th June ride
Post by: Jsaunders on June 07, 2015, 02:39:32 PM
Excellent route today Mark well enjoyed the ride. Excellent ride in prep for next weeks Velothon.
Title: Re: Amblers 7th June ride
Post by: Tom on June 07, 2015, 03:09:28 PM
Yes thanks Mark-a good ride and a good call on the return route-avoiding that top road is always a good idea!Sorry I lost contact at the end-I went straight down the bypass-I'm guessing you went another way?
Title: Re: Amblers 7th June ride
Post by: Lee S on June 07, 2015, 05:18:02 PM
Great route today Mark. Thoroughly enjoyed riding the mystery tour!  :)
Title: Re: Amblers 7th June ride
Post by: Mark Pope on June 07, 2015, 07:46:51 PM
A great turnout today with 15 Amblers and a mystery guest heading out on a flatish (well only 3000 feet of climbing ;D) route towards Cardif Bay. It turned out to be a really enjoyable ride, although due to a puncture and being twice caught out by the raised barage we were about 40 minutes later back than planned. It was a bit of a mystery tour for some of the boys as we don't often stray this far East or touch the badlands of Barry. Ambling around the Vale and City today were:

Tom
Terry
Tony M
Paul L
Neil Bartlett
Neil B
Chris Goodwin - up the road
Ben North _up the road
Ron
Jon Saunders
Jonathan Slinks
Lee S
Mark P
Mystery guest
Craig

Mark
Title: Re: Amblers 7th June ride
Post by: ron b on June 07, 2015, 08:07:54 PM
Can't think of a "Mystery Guest" on a 25er's ride.
Title: Re: Amblers 7th June ride
Post by: Tom on June 07, 2015, 08:20:55 PM
Yes he does doesn't he(Jonathon Slinks)
Title: Re: Amblers 7th June ride
Post by: neilburns on June 07, 2015, 08:23:51 PM
Perfect day for it today chaps!, great route I've not done before, got a pair of red arms and legs to boot !😂 suncream next time 👍
Title: Re: Amblers 7th June ride
Post by: Chris Reed on June 07, 2015, 08:36:15 PM
Was I the mystery guest? 😜
Title: Re: Amblers 7th June ride
Post by: Mark Pope on June 07, 2015, 10:17:24 PM
Chris, how did I miss you off my list??? Sorry matey. No you weren't the mystery guest. The clue is a short, very smiley young chap from Abergavenny!  ;D