My Community

General Category => Time Trials => Topic started by: ron b on May 31, 2015, 07:42:47 AM

Title: R25 Course
Post by: ron b on May 31, 2015, 07:42:47 AM
An interesting "thread" has started on the Cycle Forum site, will someone copy the link please. Is the R25 a fair course in the tradition of British time trialing, a 700 ft elevation difference is against the principles of an "Out and Back" course. I'm sure this thread will liven up. Today's question, because of the light drizzle how many rider will decline to start on the course?
Title: Re: R25 Course
Post by: Tom on May 31, 2015, 08:16:37 AM
Why start a thread-we all know the answer is a resounding 'No'
Title: Re: R25 Course
Post by: Rob Jones on May 31, 2015, 09:59:25 AM
How many riders will decline to ride on a dual carriageway in light drizzle and the reduced driver visibility that goes with that on a high speed road Ron? Answer = All the sensible ones!
Answer to your main question = of course it isn't a fair course but then it is designed within the rules so no-one to blame but those who make and have ability to change the rules! Careful what you wish for mind as without that course there would be about half the events in SE Wales and probably less interest in time trialling here too...its nice to be able to compete alongside the likes of Hutchinson, Bottrill etc
Title: Re: R25 Course
Post by: Teresa on May 31, 2015, 10:48:50 AM
Here is the thread.

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=100896

Title: Re: R25 Course
Post by: Steven on May 31, 2015, 03:15:22 PM

I've read the thread too.  The course is fast in certain weather conditions but can be cruel and has very little traffic ( good for safety, bad for fast times..).  I did my fastest '25' on my one ride on the A25/11 at Etwall last year despite several attempts to beat it on the R25/3.  Also, when I look at my 97 (as of this morning) rides under the hour, I'm comparing them with events I did with toeclips, standard bars and not a skinsuit, aero helmet or tri- bars in sight !  The only positive factor was that I was 30 years younger then...
Title: Re: R25 Course
Post by: xrayspecs on May 31, 2015, 03:36:59 PM
Looking across the road at the Carl Roach a significant number of riders went down the bank on the hoods not the aero bars; they are suffering from what I would term "bank anxiety"; I also heard several riders who had this condition having an informal group therapy session afterwards. So whilst it is clearly a gift it is not always the size of gift we might expect and rewards those who have enough bottle to fly down it.
I also note the comment that real men ride at Llandovery having been the sole Ogmore representative last Monday!
Title: Re: R25 Course
Post by: Rob Jones on May 31, 2015, 08:43:05 PM
9/10 times that course is horrid and not that quick. But that 10th time  ;)when you get a float day it really is a gift!
Title: Re: R25 Course
Post by: ron b on June 01, 2015, 05:53:47 AM
And it's a good money maker for the club.