My Community

General Category => Club Runs => Topic started by: Andy H on April 17, 2015, 01:32:04 PM

Title: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Andy H on April 17, 2015, 01:32:04 PM
I know a few club members have entered Velothon Wales sportive and  I want to gauge opinion on a 'rideout' of the course taking in the Tumble and Caerphilly mountain climbs.

Option to do as the Sunday club run (May 3rd) or on Bank Holiday Monday, (May 4th) as an 'extra curricular' event.

It's a 115 mile round trip from Brackla, so would require an early start! An option would be to drive and start nearer to the route. I'd be happy to provide coffee and bacon rolls in my house, (live in Penarth) but it's still 94 miles from there.

We'd cycle at a sensible speed with lunch/coffee stop en route, so suitable for all riders

Any opinions, post and we can discuss.
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: ron b on April 17, 2015, 02:07:17 PM
I'm sure the "Coffee Riders" could handle bap, thanks for the offer, would that then make us the "HP Gang"?
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Andy H on April 17, 2015, 04:56:32 PM
I'll have the pig slaughtered, ready!
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Paul L on April 17, 2015, 07:33:38 PM
Hi Andy

As I am booked in for the Velothon and training for it, I would definitely be up for this.
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Andy H on April 18, 2015, 09:25:39 AM
Paul

A couple of people expressed interest at club night, preference for Sunday.

I'll keep 'bumping' this post and update over the next couple of weeks

Andy
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: RichardB on April 18, 2015, 10:25:28 AM
My preference would be for the Monday as I'll be out all day on the Saturday.
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Jason T on April 18, 2015, 10:27:27 AM
I would hope to join you on either day and then peel off somewhere, I'll be stuck for time that week (and the following week I think)  :-\
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: harpo on April 18, 2015, 10:51:42 AM
Sunday best for me :D
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Steve Chapman on April 18, 2015, 01:41:44 PM
Sunday for me I'm working Monday
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Terry A on April 18, 2015, 07:40:34 PM
I'm up for this; not bothered about which day and okay with the Brackla start.
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: RichardB on April 18, 2015, 08:38:02 PM
But looking like I'll be out by myself on the Monday!!
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Ben_North on April 18, 2015, 09:25:42 PM
Sunday sound good to me.
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Andy H on April 28, 2015, 09:12:16 PM
Sunday definitely more popular, just need to decide route and start time.

Option 1 Brackla start, long route, 111 miles

https://connect.garmin.com/course/9435399

Option 2 Penarth start, shorter route, 87 miles (breakfast or brunch rolls, included)

https://connect.garmin.com/course/9435557

Suggest something like 7:00am start from Brackla 8:00am from Penarth. Obviously if starting in Penarth need to sort out transport, (Haydn has offered) and arrange en route meeting place for anybody who wants to join.
If we decide the long route I'd meet you in Llantrisant and I'm happy to go with the majority.
Maybe post your preferences and if you want to discuss then I'll be at club night on Friday, come along and we can 'chew' it over.

Here's hoping for fine weather

Andy H
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: harpo on April 28, 2015, 10:05:59 PM
 I'm in, whatever way we go, is there more direct route to the tumble?
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Andy H on April 29, 2015, 05:50:52 AM
Can avoid the loop to Magor and Usk by going straight from Newport to Abergavenny.
I'll see how many miles difference it makes
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Steve Chapman on April 29, 2015, 11:02:11 AM
Im happy to go from Brackla at 7am ( as long as the weather isn't too bad )

How about miss out the loop to Magor but keep in Usk ( thats the best part  :) )
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Andy H on April 29, 2015, 11:58:05 AM
I was going to say that the bit up to Usk is better than going through Risca etc.

That would save a few miles and should be reasonably easy to navigate, famous last words!
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Jason T on April 29, 2015, 12:18:13 PM
Don't.Let.Steve.Navigate  ;)
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Steve Chapman on April 29, 2015, 01:03:40 PM
lol, Thats what makes it fun!  :)
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Andy H on April 29, 2015, 01:12:15 PM
s'alright I know the way.

Cutting out the loop to Magor knocks 10 miles off. Will make it a 100 miler from Brackla.

Everybody OK with a 7 am start?

Weather forecast looking a bit grim but hopefully it'll change before Sunday.


Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Jason T on April 29, 2015, 07:44:50 PM
If you're setting off from Brackla at 07:00 then I'll aim to be at the L'Oréal roundabout in Talbot Green for 07:30 to pickup the group as it comes through.
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: RichardB on April 29, 2015, 09:35:40 PM
Making some changes to my plans for Saturday so hope to join you all now on Sunday. But I agree with Jason regards the navigation, I hope the route doesn't include any short cuts over the central reservation 😄
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Andy H on April 29, 2015, 10:27:14 PM
OK Jason, we'll meet you en route, good news Richard, more the merrier.

I'll be bringing a triathlete mate along who cycles with Ajax, so we'll have a decent group.

Anybody else fancy joining us?
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Chris Reed on April 30, 2015, 06:32:50 AM
I may be at the Loriel roundabout at 7:30 - but if not there go without me.
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Andy S on April 30, 2015, 02:08:55 PM
Yup,I'm in
Shall join the peloton on Llantrisant Road at Rhydlafar
Would 7.40am be about right?
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Andy H on April 30, 2015, 02:58:06 PM
Sounds about right Andy, I've got your mobile number so if we're early or you're late we can let each other know.

Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: harpo on April 30, 2015, 07:43:33 PM
Knees sorted Mr Samuels?? Will have to bring some tissues if their not!;)
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Andy H on May 01, 2015, 12:09:10 PM
Said in earlier post, I'd be at club tonight if anybody wanted to chat about Sunday ride but I can't make it.
Weather forecast has improved slightly, so I will definitely be in Brackla at 7:00 on Sunday, ready to ride the planned route.
We can decide on cutting short if weather turns grim.
See you there!
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: craig m on May 01, 2015, 12:48:18 PM
Hi guys, I am a newbie to the oggys!
Would it be possible to tag along on this ride? Am booked onto the velo so would be interested to see the route.
Am going to pop along to the clubroom tonight to say hi if anyone is about.
7:30 at the L’oriel round about is best for me if this is ok with you guys?
Cheers

 :( Sorry can't make the ride, see you next time :)
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Andy H on May 01, 2015, 12:54:46 PM
Yes, come along, see you Sunday
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Jason T on May 03, 2015, 06:07:56 AM
Urgh, it really is horrible out there ~ The dogs did a U-Turn at the end of the drive about 20 minutes ago and made a break back to the front door.

Looks like it will ease off soon  ::)

Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: harpo on May 03, 2015, 06:17:21 AM
Not a problem for you jas with all the gear you got! ;)
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Jason T on May 03, 2015, 06:22:15 AM
I'm looking at wet weather gear on wiggle right now.
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: harpo on May 03, 2015, 06:27:23 AM
You stay in bed, we will take the brunt of the weather, should be dry when we get to you!!
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Andy S on May 03, 2015, 02:06:53 PM
Velothon done and dusted(with just a small "issue" on the beast that is Caerfilthy mountain
At the Gwaelod for a pint of cider,crisps and peanuts-beautiful!
Cheers TS Steve for some extra propulsion
The tank is empty but now being rapidly refilled(with cider)
Thanks boys for a great ride
Perhaps a 2nd pint....?

Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Andy H on May 03, 2015, 04:12:51 PM
Four hardy souls left Brackla this morning, in damp conditions and hoping to pick up some vagrants en route, as I didn't fancy trying told Haydn's wheel for 100 miles.
Luckily Toestrap Steve, Steve Chapman and Jason were at L'Oreal roundabout and we picked up Andy Samuels on the way to Rhydlafar.
A healthy pace was set on the mostly flat route to the Tumble, 18+ mph to this point with Jason and Haydn doing a lot of the work, having to be occasionally reigned in by the two Steve's and myself, when the pace got too hot. After an hour or so of light rain things dried out by the time we reached Cardiff and we enjoyed a mostly dry ride up through Caerleon, Usk towards the Tumble, Natural selection occurred with Ts Steve leading the way, followed by Haydn, Jason and Steve C. Simon M (Ajax) stayed in touch with me, Richard and Andy providing the rearguard.
Coffee stop in an excellent cafe on Blaenavon high street, took a while to find but well worth and v. friendly. Rain reared its ugly head when we set off again but still not much more than a light shower. Speedy decent down the valley before grinding our way along the bypass to Y. Mynach and Caerphilly. Some tired legs by this point but all made it up Caerphilly mountain, just!!
Came home via Treforest ind est, where Andy turned off for a well deserved pint (did your wife come and pick you up?!!) and the rest of us fought the headwind home.
100+ miles and very enjoyable despite the weather.
Great riding all, see you next week.
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Jason T on May 03, 2015, 04:17:35 PM
Yes, good riding and a good route and navigation ~ Thanks Andy.

TS Steve looking good on the climbs as usual.

I think the award of the day goes to the random chap climbing The Tumble.... with Panniers and Two Children  :o
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: RichardB on May 03, 2015, 04:31:28 PM
Great route today - thanks Andy. And thanks to all whose wheel I rode on today. A tough day's cycling but still very enjoyable and first time up the Tumble for me.
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Jason T on May 03, 2015, 04:40:10 PM
How many pints of cider are you in to now Andy S?
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Andy S on May 03, 2015, 05:04:21 PM
Just the one,I went home for an almighty train smash of bacon eggs beans mushrooms toast and tea
Oh,and lashings of HP sauce
There's even a pavlova in the freezer that caught my eye,now should I...?
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Toestrapsteve on May 03, 2015, 05:05:24 PM
Thanks Andy for organising a useful rehearsal for Velothon - navigated well (apart from the brief jaunt on the M4!). A lovely route/ride apart from a couple of unpleasant showers and a couple of very unpleasant hills. Hard to keep a mixed group together on such a ride but discipline imposed and order restored when gaps grew too big - good team effort and a 'grand day out' - thanks all.
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: ceribu on May 18, 2015, 10:19:15 PM
I have been asked by Jeff Edwards to find out where the club run is heading for Whitsun Sunday, anything planned?
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: Andy H on May 18, 2015, 11:01:31 PM
I'm away this Saturday and Sunday so will have to leave the Pacers to find they're own way around!
I do hope to get out on Monday if anybody is around, will probably set another post up regarding this
Title: Re: May Bank Holiday weekend
Post by: neilburns on May 19, 2015, 11:24:17 PM
I'm in Andy 👍