My Community

General Category => Club Runs => Topic started by: Andy H on February 20, 2015, 10:54:11 AM

Title: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Andy H on February 20, 2015, 10:54:11 AM
Reminder that the 2nd Reliability ride is this Sunday.

Sign on by 8:15 for the 50 in 3.5 hours and by 8:45 for the 50 in 3 hours.

Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Rob Jones on February 20, 2015, 03:14:33 PM
Epic weather forecast for this one. Think it was this event last year that most of us fought hard not to be blown off the top of the bwlch, whilst mark hardly seemed to be affected!
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: xrayspecs on February 20, 2015, 03:19:12 PM
Remember it well ; had to get off and walk for a while. No wind on the way up; biblical on the top.
Will be doing a spin around the Vale instead this year if its the same.
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Rob Jones on February 20, 2015, 04:45:08 PM
Come on Chris, its character building.  :o I think the problem is when you have a southerly wind, anything else seems ok up there and a westerly is delighful!
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Tom on February 20, 2015, 07:12:03 PM
If the weather is as bad as the BBC predicted a few minutes ago I certainly won't be going up there and think anyone else should think hard about it!
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Andy H on February 20, 2015, 07:21:56 PM
As timekeeper for the event, I'm with Rob and the character building!  ;D
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Andy H on February 20, 2015, 10:19:25 PM
I know the forecast is not good for Sunday but I will be there at the appointed time, for those who intend to ride.

I think it's a case of seeing what conditions are like on the day and leaving it to the individual to make the decision about riding or not.
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Tom on February 20, 2015, 10:35:32 PM
Sensible Andy(as I'd expect)sorry if I seemed a bit negative!
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Joew300497 on February 20, 2015, 10:57:36 PM
Hello, I'm looking to join you this Sunday for the reliability ride, but have some questions (although I really like the idea of the event). How do the riders usually keep track of the route, is it marked or do people tend to stay in a group for the duration of the ride? And what kind of numbers are you expecting for the longer ride? Thanks in advance
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Andy H on February 20, 2015, 11:23:23 PM
Joe, route isn't marked. Riders tend to set off in a group, although this does tend to splinter along the way. The routes are on the website as Garmin files so could be downloaded but most club members would know them and help you en route.
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: ron b on February 21, 2015, 07:42:51 AM
Joew, how many miles do you normally cycle and at what speed, are you familiar with the route and confident of riding over the Bwlch, possibly on your own in not the best conditions?
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Rosssheehan on February 21, 2015, 08:34:57 AM
I'll be there At the back especially up the bwlch for company if anyone drops behind😄.

I had a look of the bwlch this morning and it's white with snow, don't know what the roads are like though.
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: RoyH on February 21, 2015, 10:37:20 AM
Ron I have a cold again so looks like I wont be there tomorrow unless I make a speedy recovery.
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Andy H on February 21, 2015, 11:07:11 AM
Forecast not quite so grim, still rain but wind strength reduced!
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Jason T on February 21, 2015, 11:09:46 AM
I'll be giving it a miss, someone has brought a bug in to work and sent me down ill again.

The forecast seems similar to last weekend with the exception of the rain coming in about midday, so it should be a fairly good ride.
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Rosssheehan on February 21, 2015, 11:38:13 AM
Where is the start again. Is it where we do our club runs 😃
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Joew300497 on February 21, 2015, 11:57:19 AM
I'm not familiar with the route, and I haven't had the time yet to go for such a long ride, although I'm confident I can do it. I will out the route on my phone just in case, thanks.
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Will J on February 21, 2015, 12:40:47 PM
So much for weather forecasts. It was sleeting heavily in ogmore vale this morning, with bad vis so I turned back for the lowlands.
By the time I got to blackmill, the sun was out and it looked fine up there.
Sure it'll be ok tomorrow, but lights might be an idea just in case.
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Andy H on February 21, 2015, 12:57:25 PM
Start is at usual place for club runs, Physiques gym, Brackla
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Teresa on February 21, 2015, 01:05:53 PM
http://www.ogmorevalleywheelers.com/page37.html
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: ron b on February 21, 2015, 07:03:48 PM
I'm sticking to low ground, only 4 degrees in Cardiff his afternoon, not worth the risk.
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Rosssheehan on February 21, 2015, 07:48:37 PM
hi ron i will be up for a low altitude ride it was white at the top of the bwlch this morning, its going to be really icey.
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Rob Jones on February 21, 2015, 09:18:19 PM
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you all that the rain comes in early...and washes the ice away (or could it be snow up there!). Seriously look out for that cross wind at the top, it could be quite strong and catch you by surprise. I'd maybe have been tempted to make the trek west and join you for this one had the forecast been kinder. Have a safe and enjoyable ride all.
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Andrew S on February 21, 2015, 09:26:16 PM
Just a suggestion but would it cause too much trouble just swapping RR2 & RR3 around?
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Andy H on February 21, 2015, 09:56:28 PM
I think the better option would be to cancel and use the 'free' weekend, (before the Mallorca trip) of March 8th.

Use tomorrow for an amble around the Vale, before the rain sets in! As per Ron's 25ers post

Anybody have any thoughts?
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Mark Pope on February 21, 2015, 11:11:50 PM
That might be a sound idea Andy. The forecast for the top of the Bwlch tomorrow is looking a bit grim. It's likely to be close to freezing, very windy and wet and the descent may be a bit cheeky. I was looking forward to being blown all the way to the top by a 15mph tailwind, but it will also be potentially hazardous.  It's a bit late to let most people know now, or to change to RR2 but a jaunt around the Vale may be a good idea. We can still make a decision tomorrow morning when we see what the weather is actually like. 

Mark 
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Tony M on February 21, 2015, 11:13:28 PM
Yes I agree with that.
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Rosssheehan on February 22, 2015, 07:04:20 AM
The roads at the bottom of the bwlch are Icey. All the cars are frosted up hard.
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Rosssheehan on February 22, 2015, 07:08:38 AM
Can't see the top of the bwlch either

[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Teresa on February 22, 2015, 12:56:45 PM
What a bunch of madmen heroes for taking on the weather this morning.

If shivering produced power, the National Grid would have no worries.

Well done all  :D
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Tom on February 22, 2015, 01:33:48 PM
Yes-Chapeau(or possibly strait jackets)to those who braved the Bwllch today.A few hours round the Vale left me as cold as I've been all this Winter(no bikes outside Café Velo mid-morning tells it's own story).As Andy and Rob said it may be character building but my character is fully formed and,as you will know it's the character of a wimp!
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Tony M on February 22, 2015, 03:03:50 PM
I actually had a pleasant ride apart from hands so cold I couldn't change gear, and I am not exaggerating!
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Andy H on February 22, 2015, 03:51:21 PM
Well done to all who made it around today and also to those who made it most of the way around! Conditions were challenging!

Having driven to the top of the Bwlch and ridden down to meet the first group, I've never been so happy to cycle UP the Bwlch, to try and warm up.

There were 5 qualifiers, Tony Mansell, Terry Anthony, Jonathan Spink, Mark Pope and Wayne Evans.

4 DNFs, including Joe Williams out on his first club run, who did well to survive his memorable, first climb of the Bwlch!
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: ron b on February 22, 2015, 04:36:16 PM
Glad to hear you all survived, but the risk of accident was too high. Why do we not run this event at a later date, it was actually sleeting in Cowbridge and lot of ice on the sides of the main roads.
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Mark Pope on February 22, 2015, 04:41:02 PM
A big thanks to Andy for organising RR2 and for pacing young Joe up the Bwlch. Thank goodness for Andy's 'Safety Car' too as I'm not sure what we'd have done if we'd had to wait for Joe at the top of the Bwlch, as it wasn't the weather to hang around at the summit. I'll second Tony's comments about it being a good ride though. Apart from the snow, sleet and cold over the top, it wasn't too bad, although the sleet did freeze to my glasses (and eyelids) making the descent slightly more interesting than usual. It still didn't compare with 'Armageddon Day' in Majorca two years ago but then again today we were (mostly) dressed for the occasion.

Mark
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Wayne E on February 22, 2015, 05:11:46 PM
Thanks again to Andy for his time . Good ride today in mixed weather conditions.
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: marknott on February 22, 2015, 08:22:24 PM
Well done to all who completed or even attempted the ride today....I decided to "bottle it" and stick to the lowlands as the temp in Barry was 3 degrees C...so guessed it would be freezing up there!!!!

Pretty grim in the lowlands too...coldest my feet have been all Winter season,couldn't feel them with 2 hours of riding still to go !!! Had a mild case of "trench foot" me thinks LOL !!!

Chapeau !!!
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Rob Jones on February 22, 2015, 09:02:06 PM
It was a southerly wind, so coastal roads in the vale were probably as grim as anywhere (except perhaps the bwlch summit! Presumably would have got the rain earlier too.
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Terry A on February 22, 2015, 09:54:26 PM
+1 on the thanks to Andy for looking after us.

As for the ride, it was fun in a perverted sort of way. Temperature wise, I'm pretty sure that's the coldest my hands and feet have ever been in my life - and that's quite a while.
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: xrayspecs on February 23, 2015, 08:50:37 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/6299349
To warm you up a bit.
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Tony M on February 23, 2015, 09:07:42 AM
Perhaps this will be known as the RRmageddon ride.  ;D
Title: Re: RR2 Sunday 22nd February
Post by: Andy H on February 23, 2015, 09:34:06 AM
Chris, kindly keep your Mallorca post in the appropriate section, so those of us who aren't going can avoid reading them!!   :'(   :)