My Community

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: Tom on January 10, 2015, 08:35:43 PM

Title: Seath Valley Closed
Post by: Tom on January 10, 2015, 08:35:43 PM
I think that most members are aware that the bridge between Ewenny and St Brides is to be replaced and we've been expecting the road closure.I see from this week's Gazette that it's now been scheduled and the road will be closed for 5 months from 2nd Feb.
I can't remember which reliability ride is on which date but this closure may affect them?
Title: Re: Seath Valley Closed
Post by: Andy H on January 10, 2015, 08:45:55 PM
It will put the kibosh on RR1.

Option would be going around Ogmore which will add 10 miles in total over 2 loops. Could lose 5 miles by dropping the loop out to Laleston and make the ride 55 miles or I'd be happy to create a new route.

What do people think?
Title: Re: Seath Valley Closed
Post by: Mark Pope on January 12, 2015, 06:11:21 PM
Andy,

I'd be happy to add on the Coast Road around Ogmore and do 60 miles. Alternatively you could do the Coast Road on Lap 1 and up Post Office Hill just before Corntown on Lap 2 towards Llandow across the top of the ridge, then drop down into Cowbridge. I haven't checked the distance on Garmin Connect but that must be close to 50 miles.

Mark
Title: Re: Seath Valley Closed
Post by: Andy H on January 12, 2015, 07:04:33 PM
I did look at the option of the old Wick/Ewenny Rd. If we did it both laps and if we do a loop of the roundabouts,at the far end of the club 10 and the next mini roundabout it's 50 miles

http://connect.garmin.com/course/8667241

Title: Re: Seath Valley Closed
Post by: Andy H on January 12, 2015, 07:17:45 PM
This is the route 1st lap via Ogmore, 2nd via Llandow, just short of 50 but I'm sure I can find a roundabout to circulate if this is preferred!

http://connect.garmin.com/course/8667296
Title: Re: Seath Valley Closed
Post by: Tom on January 12, 2015, 07:20:00 PM
I consider not going up Death(not Seath!!!)valley twice a real bonus.Not to go up there at all is a luxury!Route looks good to me Andy
Title: Re: Seath Valley Closed
Post by: Rob Jones on January 13, 2015, 11:48:32 AM
Hadn't realised seath was a typo until now  :D. I love death valley, its one of my favourite bits of road. I think its quite unique in many ways - for example it seems possible to have a headwind all the way up the valley or a tailwind all the way down. But regardless of wind direction, I've NEVER experienced a tailwind all the way up the valley!
Title: Re: Seath Valley Closed
Post by: traine on January 13, 2015, 04:20:51 PM
Andy

I am pleased you are keeping it to 50. It is my intention to 'potter' around in 4 hours, possibly as my first road event of the year.

Tim
Title: Re: Seath Valley Closed
Post by: Davey C on January 13, 2015, 06:50:11 PM
Going to affect Betty Pharoah RR