My Community

General Category => Club Runs => Topic started by: Chris Reed on December 24, 2014, 10:48:59 AM

Title: Strava Festive 500
Post by: Chris Reed on December 24, 2014, 10:48:59 AM
Hi All - riding every day Boxing Day onward - who's out over Xmas?

Plan is (in KM)
(Did 33 today)
26th - 60
27th - 60
28th - 130 (club run)
29th - 100
30th - 80
31st - 50
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: Steven on December 24, 2014, 11:23:49 AM
Impressive, even though Carol has endured me cycling through 30+ years of marriage, I feel divorce looming if I attempted this !
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: RichardB on December 24, 2014, 02:52:10 PM
Hi Chris I was out this morning and plan to ride Sunday and Tuesday. Me and Harpo maybe heading west on Sunday which would give you some very good miles.

Richard
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: Jason T on December 24, 2014, 02:59:40 PM
So long as this thing I've caught starts to pass by the weekend then I intend to get some rides in, hope to be out sunday and if I am we can take it from there and rally up some others.... maybe.
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: harpo on December 24, 2014, 03:35:52 PM
I will be out boxing day morning Chris!
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: Chris Reed on December 25, 2014, 11:21:52 PM
What time harpo?
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: Jason T on December 29, 2014, 10:52:20 AM
I'm still feeling rough but I really need to get out of the house, unfortunately today is looking a little too cold for me (I know, MTFU).

Looking at the weather forecast is anyone out from late morning or afternoon tomorrow (looks like a cold/icy start) and/or wednesday?

EDIT: I'm not looking at going at too fast a pace (Christmas Sickness) or much climbing (Icy Conditions).
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: harpo on December 29, 2014, 03:39:25 PM
I went out today, stuck to main roads, bit doggy to start, but ok after 11.30, I've got 150km to go, so will be out tomorrow and wed!!
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: Jason T on December 29, 2014, 04:13:07 PM
I can be down Bridgend for 12:00 or later if you or anyone else fancies it, just let me know.

That allows me to leave 11:00 or later so the roads should be Ok.
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: RichardB on December 29, 2014, 06:30:13 PM
I plan on getting out in the morning too but need to be out 10ish. Looking to do 60 miles or so.
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: Rob Jones on December 29, 2014, 07:00:43 PM
Planning on heading out from Cardiff by 9am and heading up to do a loop over penderyn moors (usually treated). Not sure how I'm going to get around coryton interchange though (don't fancy the cycle path option from manor way into tongwynlais as slippery even when it isn't icy). Has anyone ever tried bypassing coryton on a bike...ie just staying on A470 as you would in the car?

Can't decide if staying on a470 is is far more sensible compared to the horrid interchange going northbound or plain suicidal! Would have thought the new lights under coryton both slow traffic down and mean less cars to merge with either side of coryton....Also if anyone fancies joining me then get in touch (presumably you'll join me north of coryton). From there I'll get on the old Cardiff road to ponty then onto Aberdare on the A road, hirwaen, penderyn moors, a470 to merthyr and old Cardiff road back to ponty, tongwynlais and through coryton in the easy southbound direction. Back for lunchtime.
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: Jason T on December 29, 2014, 07:23:21 PM
I'm going to give Harpo a text in the morning after checking out the road conditions, hopefully it won't be too bad in the A.M.

That's an awkward one Rob, I'll happily go part way around Coryton on my morning commute (before 07:00) but outbound is a different story.

You could take Longwood Drive to Iron Bridge Rd, if the link works the highlighted route is cyclepath:
http://tinyurl.com/kk7gqhs

With that route you're trading one cycle path for another through the centre of Coryton, although there never seems to be glass on the section above.

Not that you would know until you get on to Coryton that time of day, but if there doesn't appear to be much traffic on the road I would have thought you would fine looping around to the Tongwynlais Hotel Junction, no way would I fancy joining the A470 and then getting off at the Morganstown/Radyr Exit.

Alternatively wimp out and go via Llandaff -> Radyr.
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: Andy H on December 29, 2014, 07:25:39 PM
Bikes aren't allowed on the section of A470 between Coryton and Taffs Well, only a problem if you get caught!

You could turn left down past Mcdonalds, down Longwood Drive and at the bottom turn right to pick up the small section of Taff trail to Tongwynlais

Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: Rob Jones on December 29, 2014, 07:42:06 PM
Cheers guys, I'll take a look on google earth and maybe see if I can til toe through a bit if cycle path. Doubt I'll risk staying on the A470...being not allowed makes it even more spooky!
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: Tom on December 29, 2014, 08:50:05 PM
A guy called Michael Bradbury(new mwmber?)is looking for a ride tomorrow-he's posted onm Facebook and says he can't post here till he's accepted and asks if anyone going out tomorrow on FB can post for him on the OVW FB page
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: harpo on December 29, 2014, 08:58:52 PM
Didn't know we had a ovw fb page ???
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: Rob Jones on December 29, 2014, 09:20:14 PM
me neither, not that I'd be able to access it given I don't have an account
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: Tom on December 29, 2014, 10:18:26 PM
Yes it's been there ages-not a lot of postings but people from outside the club-Becky Aichler for example-often put messages there
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: harpo on December 29, 2014, 11:16:03 PM
Will posting on here in morning Tom, when we no what's happening, anyone can look at forum
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: Jason T on December 30, 2014, 08:49:23 AM
Planning on meeting Harpo at Physique Gym Car Park at 11:00 for anyone who can make it.

Link to map location below for those who can't post/have not been on a Club Ride;
http://tinyurl.com/k3rbhg8

.... and there really is a Facebook Page.
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: harpo on December 30, 2014, 08:58:47 AM
Richard b meeting us there
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: Tom on December 30, 2014, 09:45:33 AM
Thanks Will-yes I told Mike that I was pretty sure he could read the Guest Book.Not sure how FB works but I've accepted(obviously with some hesitation)requests from Richard and Jonathan to join OVW FB group.Not aware that I have that power but hope it works!
I believe we have a Twitter ac as well but not sure about that!
Have a good ride,hoping to get out tomorrow and Friday-ice permitting!
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: Teresa on December 30, 2014, 11:16:45 AM
Anyone can read the guestbook, but you need to register and wait for me to press the 'ok' button before you can post.

I have pressed the 'ok' button for Michael now, so please post away  ;)
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: Chris Reed on December 30, 2014, 03:39:08 PM
Guys is that 11 tomorrow morning guys? Or was that this morning?

I've got 80k to do so anyone fancy it in the morning?

Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: Jason T on December 30, 2014, 04:01:59 PM
It was today Chris.

Harpo will be out tomorrow and all things being well so will I, I'm going to see how I feel in the morning ~ Right now I can't stop coughing, similar to when most of us completed the hill climb  :o

No times have been arranged as of yet, I think there's talk of climbing the Bwlch from the Afan Forest side :unsure:
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: Chris Reed on December 30, 2014, 04:06:28 PM
Ok I'll pm you number (and keep an eye on here)
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: harpo on December 30, 2014, 05:42:09 PM
Chris, I've got 30ish miles, uve got 50ish, how about bwlch from port Talbot to finish it off? (not fast) my legs are knackered! Up to you meet times etc. Theres a tail wind up the afan valley ;)
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: Jason T on December 30, 2014, 06:04:55 PM
Yeah, you were going pretty hard up some of those climbs today ;-)
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: Chris Reed on December 30, 2014, 06:31:03 PM
Ok everyone - 10 at Brackla for a (steady) spin up the Bwlch - who's in - so far

Harpo
Jason
Me (about 5 mins down the road)
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: Jason T on December 30, 2014, 06:53:43 PM
Maybe we can convince Richard as I owe him a coffee.
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: harpo on December 30, 2014, 07:08:01 PM
He will be to tired after the race he had with a gentleman he passed in llanharan!
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: RichardB on December 30, 2014, 07:28:20 PM
I will always be weary of the use of the word "steady" by others.
And yes Harpo I enjoyed the race home from Llanharan. Some easy motivation to get my head down and dig in all the way home. 😄 Do you think I'd go quicker if I tucked my trousers into my socks and used toe clips!! 😄
I'm not around tomorrow Jas, and don't worry about the coffee.
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: Jason T on December 31, 2014, 07:40:05 AM
Chaps ~ Sorry but I'm not going to make todays ride, I've just had a notification that a courier is due between 12:00 & 13:00 today for something I've been waiting for.

It won't leave me much time at all as I would have to head home about 10:30.

Sorry.
Title: Re: Strava Festive 500
Post by: Chris Reed on December 31, 2014, 07:44:01 AM
I'm out too - not feeling good this am. Just going to potter round the vale later.