My Community
General Category => Club Runs => Topic started by: Mark Pope on December 16, 2014, 11:50:34 AM
-
I have been asked to arrange this year's traditional Plough and Harrow Club Run on Saturday 27 December. For those who don't know it, the P&H is a lovely country pub in Monknash (in the lanes a few miles outside Llantwit). It does really good food and is a renowned CAMRA pub. The rough plan is to have a gentle leg spin around the Vale to burn off the Xmas pudding and arrive at the pub at around 12pm. We can then have a pie and a tipple before rolling home around the Coast Road. I envisage departing from Brackla at about 1030 and riding at chatting speed for about 25 miles to get to the pub for opening time.
For those wishing to take a more direct route, feel free to arrive separately or to bring partners. I would ask that those planning to come to the pub give me a heads up by Xmas Eve so that I can let the Landlord know how many to expect.
Mark
-
Mark. I'm provisionally up for this and bringing son in law Luke.
Going by previous years, it is advisable to get there just before the doors open as table spaces are limited.
The place is usually invaded by others who have similar ideas.
always good food and better beer.
-
I will be joining you Mark.I don't plan to eat but do plan to drink!
-
Good point Steve, I'll try and book a corner of the pub for 12pm.
Mark
-
Guys,My son is the chef at The Plough,if you intend having food let me know how many and I will get him to book a table as its expected to be busy.
-
Great, thanks Lance. Hopefully I can give you numbers by Xmas Eve if that's OK?
Mark
-
No problem-just text or call me on 07767 291354 and I'll let Joe know
-
Mark, I'm planning to join you - assuming the weather is not too ridiculous.
Terry
-
Thanks Terry, I look forward to seeing you on Saturday. We'll be leaving from Brackla at 1030 and aiming to get to the pub just before opening time.
Mark
-
I'm planning on riding and will aim to be at Brackla for 10.30. If I'm running late then I will join you en route. No food for me, just a drink.
-
Hi Mark
I am planning on joining you tomorrow.
Tony
-
Anymore takers for the Plough & Harrow jaunt? At the moment we have around 7 riders. Kick-off time is 1030 from Brackla. I'll leave it until this afternoon before I contact the Pub with numbers. The total ride distance is around 35 miles and the plan is to follow the mid-week ride route around the Lanes to Monknash before heading home around the Coast Road. However, it's Xmas so everything is flexible.
Mark
-
Great, I look forward to seeing you tomorrow. That makes 8 riders!
-
Mark, unfortunately The Plough won't take any bookings or reserve tables over the weekend as they are expecting to be very busy.They are opening at 12 o clock so Joe suggests you get there as early as you can to get seats or tables - have a good one, Lance (I may try and meet you all there family permitting)
-
Hi Mark I will be there too, hoping to keep up with this pace ;)
-
Guys,
As you've seen from Lance's post the P&H won't take bookings. However, it opens at 12 pm and we should be there in time for opening so we shouldn't have a problem squeezing in. However, I have a Plan B & C if there's no room at the Inn. So far I think we have the following Oggie's planning to come out for a leg stretch:
Carrie
Kate
Tom
Steve L
Luke
Tony
Terry
Mark P
However, all are welcome. See you tomorrow at 1030.
Mark
-
Hi Mark, Ive text Carrie, change of plan hoping to meet you all at the pub instead, thanks.
-
Thanks for organising this Mark-a good ride and a good number out.Don't think I'll be incorporating sherry into my'training regime'(hah!)though
-
The Plough & Harrow ride turned out to be an enjoyable leg stretch in surprisingly good weather. It was (mostly) very sunny, cold but dry and the Lanes were in relatively good nick. We did the usual mid week route through Treoes, Langan, City, Welsh St Donuts, Llantrithydd and back through Llantwit Major. Our time on target was slightly adrift though, and we arrived 10 minutes after opening time. However, Kate's one woman pincer movement (and slightly short cut) meant she was at the pub well ahead of the meandering Oggie peloton and she managed to grab the last table in the house ready for our arrival. We spent a good 45 minutes in the Pub, scoffing pie and chips etc and downing the odd glass or two (or in some cases three) before heading for home around the Coast Road.
The following Oggies turned out to enjoy the festivities:
Carrie
Kate (Recce Platoon)
Tom
Tony
Terry
Steve L
Luke
Andy Storrie
Mark P
The total distance from Brackla to Brackla was around 38 miles, so a nice warm up before tomorrow's Club Run.
-
Good ride today. I think we should use that stop off more often. And there is no truth in the rumour that I only had a flat so I wouldn't be first to the bar. ;)