My Community
General Category => Club Runs => Topic started by: Andy H on October 27, 2014, 09:54:06 PM
-
Bit of forward planning and to give you something to look forward to for the weekend.
Planned route:- http://connect.garmin.com/course/8255557
Out over Bryn and Cimla before getting blown (SW wind) up the climbs through Seven Sisters, return via Glynneath, Resolven and flat route home.
Cunning plan, riding across the wind out and back and having it help up the climbs to Seven Sisters. Can't wait to see how the forecast changes before weekend!!
66 miles, all the climbs in the first half, steady, winter pace.
Strava version: http://www.strava.com/routes/1104780
-
nothing like a mechanical to get you motivated for the next club run eh Andy... :)
-
Pacers and Amblers headed out together, weather decidedly 'cape on/cape off' and within 5 minutes we hit the first shower and it was capes on!
Good pacing kept the group together on the drag up to Maesteg and the first climb of the day up to Bryn. As usual there was a division in the group but certainly not into Pacers and Amblers, as Paul led the charge up the lowers slopes. The stronger climbers then came to the fore but also going well were Roy, Richard and Tony. Controlled descent through Bryn and down to the Afan Valley Road where the group split. 9 pacers heading on to the sharp climb up the back of Cimla and the long drag up to Seven Sisters. Weather improving as we headed west.
Dropped down into Glynneath and a coffee stop in McDonalds, unusual choice but their coffee is pretty decent!
Rain set in, while we were stoppled and it was capes back on for a soggy charge down the valley, Neil then Wayne taking long turns on the front. Rain eased as we headed on the homeward leg via Baglan, Port Talbot and Stormy Down.
Good riding today in difficult conditions, fortunately it wasn't cold.
-
Sorry - I was unable to stopple with you. The rain you had in the valley made the climb of Rhigos seem like a poorly judged shortcut home - I made it home in time for lunch, but I was pretty bedraggled.
Great route again Andy - can't believe I hadn't been up Bryn before. Enjoyed the Seven Sisters climb, and the Glynneath descent will be worth revisiting on a dry day.
-
Forgot to mention Terry dropping us going over Stormy Down, crafty move sitting in the pack most of the day, then inflicting pain at the end!
-
Far too much stoppleing going on.
-
Any of the Amblers could have told you Terry would do that!!
-
Maybe need to rethink as it looks like I'm not welcome in any group.
-
Its either the 25ers or you'll need to start a new group Terry...thesitonthebackandattacklastclimbers!
-
Might as well join the 25's for a week or two - no doubt I could hack them off as well and get the hat trick !!
-
Always welcome in the Pacers.
I was trying my damnedest to try and catch you on Stormy Down, I think the gap was closing about a yard every mile! :-[
-
You know you're always welcome in the Amblers(and the mid-week)!!
-
Can't beat a bit of lively banter among friends :)
-
You could always let a bit of air out of his tyres at the many coffee stops, worked with my Son for a while. Worrying when Terry will "Go" will always make the Pacers or Amblers rides more interesting. We 25er's have to stay below 25 kph as it says on the packet.
-
Good route and the first time I had done Seven Sisters from that side - would like to do it again when I am fit ! The McDonalds coffee stop worked well - will remember that one for next time...
-
+1 on the route & the coffee stop was great - didn't realise it was there and it's ideally placed eg after coming off the Rhigos with still a fair way to get home
-
Can't beat a bit of lively banter among friends :)
You could always let a bit of air out of his tyres at the many coffee stops, worked with my Son for a while. Worrying when Terry will "Go" will always make the Pacers or Amblers rides more interesting. We 25er's have to stay below 25 kph as it says on the packet.
Just waiting for Terry to say he was 'going easy' up Stormy Down
-
Your run was a bit west for me last Sunday though I have enjoyed it minus the coffee stop a few tomes in the past. I did find a good stop and coffee where I went though I've not known a club run venture out that way and couldn't really advocate it does until spring....
-
Can't beat a bit of lively banter among friends :)
You could always let a bit of air out of his tyres at the many coffee stops, worked with my Son for a while. Worrying when Terry will "Go" will always make the Pacers or Amblers rides more interesting. We 25er's have to stay below 25 kph as it says on the packet.
Just waiting for Terry to say he was 'going easy' up Stormy Down
Haha Andy - that's for me to know and you to guess at .... although a beer may prise the truth out of me !!
-
Or check Strava!!