My Community

General Category => Club Runs => Topic started by: Mark Pope on October 06, 2014, 03:50:53 PM

Title: MID WEEK RIDE - TUESDAY 7 OCT
Post by: Mark Pope on October 06, 2014, 03:50:53 PM
Is anyone else considering braving the weather tomorrow for the usual mid-week ride around the lanes? I'll be at the B&Q roundabout at 0930 if you are and some company would be great. The last few times I've done this we've ridden around 40+ miles and stopped for coffee in Llantwit Major.  However, I'm flexible about the route and the distance (but I would like a coffee and cake somewhere)!  ;D
Title: Re: MID WEEK RIDE - TUESDAY 7 OCT
Post by: Rob Jones on October 06, 2014, 06:14:27 PM
You don't see many runners stop for coffee and cake. Or swimmers come to think about it!
Title: Re: MID WEEK RIDE - TUESDAY 7 OCT
Post by: Roy Richards on October 06, 2014, 08:52:04 PM
Mark

The weather does not look good for tomorrow with heavy and thundery showers set to deluge S Wales according to several forecasts I have looked at so I will probably give the ride a miss.  However, I shall do a rain check in the morning and decide between bike and bed then.

Roy2.
Title: Re: MID WEEK RIDE - TUESDAY 7 OCT
Post by: Carrie Williams on October 06, 2014, 09:50:20 PM
I was hoping to ride and there might be a window of opportunity weather-wise between about 10 & 12. If the weather forecast stays the same then I'll be there but if there are any changes or they have it all wrong then I probably won't venture out. Mark: I will post a message by 8.45 as to whether I'm making it or not.
Title: Re: MID WEEK RIDE - TUESDAY 7 OCT
Post by: Terry A on October 06, 2014, 10:05:38 PM
I plan to be there at 9.30 unless it's cat's & dog's - can kind of accept (a bit) if it starts raining during the ride but find it tough to set off in the rain ... if that makes sense.

Only looking for a relatively easy ride as I plan to chaingang in the evening if it's dry-ish.

Tel
Title: Re: MID WEEK RIDE - TUESDAY 7 OCT
Post by: ron b on October 07, 2014, 07:59:02 AM
Perhaps we should get a Club award for the most cake eaten, could we use Strava? I must admit to drinking too much coffee on Club runs. As the weather gets worse and the days get shorter it's time to oil up the Turbo Trainer, you can then ride while eating cake drinking coffee and catching up with the Kardasians on "I" player.
Title: Re: MID WEEK RIDE - TUESDAY 7 OCT
Post by: Carrie Williams on October 07, 2014, 08:46:01 AM
I plan to ride but may have to join you en route (ie Troes or Penllyn) as the school run has made me late!
Title: Re: MID WEEK RIDE - TUESDAY 7 OCT
Post by: Mark Pope on October 07, 2014, 05:43:03 PM
Just four brave souls out this morning, Terry A, Carrie, Roy 2 and me.  We did see Ron coming the other way just as we hit Treos and we hid in the hedge when Steve Chapman rode past looking for us (just joking Steve). Due to the wet and windy conditions and the freshly clipped blackthorn hedges we stayed away from our usual Tuesday lanes, hence Steve being unable to find us.  We have become so used to riding in shorts and short sleeved shirts that we were caught out by the freezing rain and headed home early, chilled to the bone. We made the route up as we went along but took in Treos, Pentre Meyrick, Cowbridge (twice), LLandow, Llantwit Major, St Brides, Southerndown, Ewenny and the Golden Mile back to B&Q. Total distance only 31 miles and Strava included 20 minutes in Costas in our average speed, which makes it looks like we were riding mobility scooters. Still it was a few more miles in the bank and good company. As a few of us live quite some distance from Bridgend we have discussed starting the Tuesday ride at 10 am. At the moment 0930 is a bit of a rush for some of us, which is a partial excuse for our relative state of undress!
Title: Re: MID WEEK RIDE - TUESDAY 7 OCT
Post by: ron b on October 08, 2014, 06:02:22 PM
Out early yesterday on my MTB, nice fat tyres, ideal for those thorns waiting for a worn slick road tyre to run over it. Got caught in a light shower, welcome to Autumn.