My Community
General Category => Club Runs => Topic started by: Steve Chapman on August 17, 2014, 09:08:04 PM
-
Just a reminder to get your days booked off for Tuesday 9th September for the Tour Of Britain to finish on the Tumble. This should be a great day out. The finish is estimated at around 3.30ish this will give us a good ride up with a direct route back.
We had a great day out a few years ago, it would be good if we could have a few more this year!
-
Hi Steve,
I'm off on Tuesday. Are you still planning to ride up to Abergavenny for the ToB, if so what are the timings and your thoughts on the route out and back?
Mark
-
Definitely, hopefully get a route sorted on the weekend, Rob has been cycling up that way so was going to look at some of the roads he's used, thinking of leaving around 9.30. Only problem is that might put a few off is the finish on the Tumble will be around 3.30 so it will be a late return
-
Won't be able to make it sorry Steve. Best way over is probably via Cardiff, Newport, usk (follow sign from high st for abergavenny) and up the hard way from llanfoist. Then back via brynemin, beufort, down valley on a468 to Blackwood and back via caerphilly or pontypridd. Enjoy
-
Brynemin = Blaenavon
-
This is my 1st route, let me know what you think. Plan would be to leave Bridgend at 9.30 heading for Cardiff, Newport, Caerleon, Usk, bit of lunch in Abergavenny then onto the Tumble to watch the race. Few options coming back but should look something like this
http://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/7863242
Who's up for this 100 miler?
-
Looking at the timings In cycling weekly I didn't realise they go through Abergavenny 1st then do a loop down to Monmouth before climbing the Tumble, if we go with the plan then we should see them twice.
-
Sounds like a great day out I'm in.
-
That's a decent route Steve. Thinking of joining you despite being very short on leave. Weather forecast is super which makes a big difference when combining riding and watching. If I can get the leave I'll post by Monday evening, to try and sort out an ETA to join you somewhere in Cardiff (living Penylan near Roath).
-
No problem Rob be good if you can make it.
Thats three so far anybody else?
-
I'm in! See you Tuesday morning.
-
Slight change to the plan, we will now meet at the b&q roundabout at 9.30. ( so normal mid week meeting point ) everyone welcome and hopefully a few more won't be well enough to work tomorrow and will join Wayne, Paul, Mark, Terry, possibly Rob and myself for a day out in the sun!!
-
See at B&Q 9:30.
-
Can now confirm I am in...can I meet you at the junction of Newport rd/ Albany road, the other side of Cardiff?
-
Hi Rob, not sure where that is! I will be following the route on my garmin so as long as it's on the route we will find you. If you dm me your mobile I can ring you when we get near Cardiff.
-
No worries Steve, I'll find you on your route
-
Enjoy all!
-
Well what a day! Paul, Wayne, Terry, Mark and myself left at 9.30 this morning. Right from the off my garmin didn't like the fact that the route was supposed to start from Brackla and kept trying to redirect us back. Terry had a slow puncture so we decided to stop in Pencoed for Terry to fix his wheel and me to fix my garmin. All sorted and a little bit behind schedule we were off to meet Rob in Cardiff ( who was doing hill repeats while waiting for us ). Bit of a pain getting through Cardiff and Newport but we were all looking forward to getting on the better roads after Caerleon. Nice ride up to Abergavenny and time for a coffee and a sandwich while we watched the race go past for the first time. Headed into the town then for another coffee and food at Harry's Cafe. Then it was time for the Tumble! Not as many people on the lower slopes as I expected but the further up we got the crowd got bigger, as we approached the 1km to go banner we were met by a man with his arms out saying we couldn't go any further by bike, and that we had to walk behind the barriers, and we couldn't go that way after the race had past because of health and safety, as they needed to take the barriers down ( crazy ) So we took our position with about 800m to go and had a great view of the riders as they went past in small groups. Couple of naughty boys then decided to go over the barriers and ride to the top and we're quickly stopped by the police bikes. Bit of a fight to get through the crowd to get down the other side but we were soon off with Rob on the front pretty much all the way to Caerphilly.
Thanks guys for your company I really enjoyed it today.
Just seen us on TV to ( for about a second on the helicopter shot )
-
Nice report Steve and thanks for setting this all up. Had a great day although my legs and most other places are feeling it this morning.
We were on screen for that second or so - I shouted at the TV when Eurosport cut to a commercial break just as the riders were getting near our first vantage stop.
A day to remember for sure.
-
Looked good on the TV but I missed the one second Oggie bit ( saw the Ajax lower down). The finish area looked spectacular from the helicopter, interesting to hear of the restrictions though...
-
Sounds like a great day out. I'll get back on my bike and join a club run..............soon!
-
Got to be the longest ride I have done into the wind/breeze...north easterly am turned to south westerly pm. Lucky for us it was a calm day!
-
Lucky for us you and Steve sat on the front all day and sheltered the rest of us! A great day out. I particularly enjoyed the 30+ miles downhill from the Tumble on the way back.