My Community
General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: Will J on August 08, 2014, 12:41:51 PM
-
have snapped by valve extender on my 50mm rims and am looking at the glue that needs to be cleaned off the rims.
took about 2 weeks to clean them last time.
does anyone have any tips on speeding up the cleaning process, should I change to tape, anything else?
-
Why clean them? It should still be sticky...
-
Hair-dryer, Acetone and lots of cursing was the last solution I used earlier this year ~ One wheel per day as my thumbs were in pain.
You should only need to clean off the gnarly bits of glue if the existing glue job is Ok and you're sticking with glue and not tape, the new glue should activate the old glue.
Someone on another forum mentioned that the following product is pretty good:
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/cleaning-products/upholstery-leather-cleaner/de-solv-it-sticky-stuff-remover
I hear Tufo Tape is pretty good but yet to try it, as far as I know it tends to stick to the tube rather than the rim when removing the tyre.
-
I use Tufo tape and it's way easier. I even got a puncture 30 miles into an IM bike - rolled the new tire on (luckily the tape stuck to the rim) and had no issues with it for the remaining 80 odd miles (did ease off a wee bit on the tight corners)
Much cleaner too - put tape on rim, leave top layer on tape (with a bit hanging out the side), roll on tire and get straight, pull top cover off tape - easy.
-
or get clinchers!
-
Too clean and easy to use clinchers all year round ;)