My Community

General Category => Club Runs => Topic started by: Shawn on September 09, 2013, 01:12:39 AM

Title: Alternative club run Suinday 8th September
Post by: Shawn on September 09, 2013, 01:12:39 AM
Every now and then my work sends me off to far flung places, most trrips are a monotonous routine of flight, hotel, factory, hotel, sure as hell buggers up any training programmes you might have.

My most recent trip has sent me off to a tour of Cuba, New Jersey and for the first time California.
I arrived in California on Saturday and quickly formulted a plan that my sunday off would see me hire a bike and get some miles in.I quickly did some internet reserached and found the nearest bike shop (less than 1 mile form my hotel) so I hot footed it down there and in that one mile saw more cyclists and more bike paths than you would see in the entirity of Cardiff on a saturday. The bike shop sorted me out with a Bianchi Impulso and some ideas for routes and I was all set to pick my stead up the minute they opened on sunday morning.

Unfortunately neithe rof my GPS phone devices worked. I have attached a bike hike plot of the course (www.bikehike.co.uk) and given a summary of the highlights below.
So from the shop I ventured on the pacific highway (not as daunting as it sounds and complete with a bike lane (wide enough to fit 2 bikes side by side). I headed over to Fiesta island. A small isalnd with a 5 mile loop and very few cars, the locals use it for time trials and it is easy to see why, pretty flat, some challenging winds of the sea, but evened out by being a circular course, the only downside is a bit of sand on the road which would be pretty dicey if you hit it at speed. From there I was back onto another cycle track heading towards Mount Solodad. This was a 3 mile, 700ft climb, (the Stava KOM has it with at a 17mph average!), again with cycle lane all the way to the top. I took in some views and the descenced to Mission Bay where it seems all the college kids of San Diego hang out in the beach side bars watching sports and every block had a stop sign. From there I headed out to Sunset cliffs (imagine the Ogmore coast road with more stunning views) and after a hydration stop I ascended the very aptly named Hill Street, like the steep bit of Penlyn but seemed longer. It was all downhill from their to pick up the harbour road around the San Diego bay up to the USS Midway. After that I got a bit lost in some of the downtown streets trying to find my way back to the bike shop, but eventually picked up the PAcific highway and got back.
All in all a great days riding. The map shows it at 40 miles which is about right, probably came in at about 4 hours but with plenty of stops and the odd wrong turn. The 30C temperatures and wicked sea winds made for some tough riding conditions.
All the locals out on their bikes were very friendly and happy to give directions, they even did mind me hopping on their wheels from time to time.

If you ever come out this way be sure to bring your pedals, shoes and shorts. I was able to hire a bike with pedal cages and helmet, but my shorts and T shirt combo was definitely out of place amongst all the locals in their immacualte kit.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: Alternative club run Suinday 8th September
Post by: Shawn on September 09, 2013, 01:13:54 AM
PS if you want to see the route. Download the file and open with www.bikehike.co.uk *there is an option for course creator and load route.  8)
Title: Re: Alternative club run Suinday 8th September
Post by: Paul Longthorn on September 09, 2013, 08:05:29 AM
Sounds great Shawn.