My Community
General Category => Club Runs => Topic started by: Steven on July 31, 2014, 09:07:16 PM
-
After last week's experience, I'm suggesting something similar this weekend. As before, brisk but not fast with no mountains. 0800 start and hopefully back around 1230. Stop only for bottle refills.
Cardiff, Newport, Caerleon, Usk, Pontypool, Hengoed, Caerphilly, Pontypridd. I have not go a piece of string long enough to fit on my map-can anybody tell me how far this is?
-
Strava seems to be suggesting that it would be around the 90 mile mark.
-
Shall I pick you up in Cardiff on Newport road at the junction with Albany road...just before you get to all the retail parks? I'll ride with you til Usk and then head elsewhere. Find A472 through pontypool etc a bit of a slog and almost unbearable if there is much wind.
Cheers
-
Sounds good to me, it's a bit of a horrible junction at times but there's a bus stop we can wait at which looks ideal.
-
You won't need to wait Jason, I'll be there from just after 9. If I ain't then just keep going
-
I won't be able to make the 08:00 start as I've over slept, I will set off at 08:00 and aim to meet the group at Robs suggestion in Cardiff.
-
Sew you there Jason. Think you have til at least 9.10 until they get here.
-
Mark R and I set off from Brackla, A48 to Cardiff, rolled through a few red lights to meet the 0900 meet time. Rob and Jason were waiting and we set off via the marshes to Newport. We got an armchair ride at 25mph from another cyclist, through Newport to Caerleon. Breathtaking scenery to Usk and then with 50 miles in our legs we succumbed to a cafe stop. Refuelled and having visited probably the most bizzare loo ever(!), we set off for Pontypool with Rob returning to Cardiff having filled our heads with dire warnings about the A472. It was fine until Newbridge but then the exposed stretches took their toll with Jason pulling us along. Back via Tonteg and Pencoed. 90 miles...
-
A good ride today with a challenge for the legs with the headwind in some sections.
It seems Strava is playing up at the moment and it won't accept my uploads, Garmin Connect reports 67 miles due to my late start.
-
Glad its not just me having problems with strava!
-
Well done guys. I headed on to Chepstow after the coffee on my favourite 15 mile stretch of road. I think I probably had something similar to you from Chepstow back to Cardiff, with the A48 being proxy for your A472! I felt like G Thomas as far as Newport....refusing to let the headwind reduce my average speed...but then it inevitably took its toll the last 10 miles or so after Newport.
-
Set out to join you this morning, but as I was leaving my rear derailleur cable snapped. After faffing for a bit, I went for the bike change, but thought I'd missed you rolling by. As I was solo I headed off in another direction so I could avoid a headwind slog at the end.
I've had Strava issues too - seems to be all sorted now though.
-
Is it a coincidence that all club members had strava issues the day I joined?(don't bother to follow me as(luckily)I have no means of posting my rides-I just want to keep an eye on you all!)